•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tank/Fuel Pump/Lines

Pelzworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Doing a 4,0 swap from 92' explorer to 85' B2 and trying to piece together a list of parts from LMC Truck utilizing the 86-88 parts idea. They don't show a pump/sending unit combo option for this year range for some reason. Can anyone explain in detail on this process regarding if there's a high/low pressure pump situation? Anyone have any fuel lines from this era for fuel injection?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I understand from reading that the 88' and older have two pumps, a high and a low (one inside the tank and one out). The 89 and 90 have a single pump in the tank. I have no idea if you can use the 89/90 assembly in one of the older vehicles.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
86 and 87 for sure low and high pressure pump, 88 probably but not sure. I owned an 85 that someone else put a 4.0 into. They told me they used a high pressure pump from a mustang. I don't remember any other details. The tank opening was filed for the pump to fit the tank. Not much but noticeable.

Pelzworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, looks like I'll go with the two pumps to be "safe", but in the hunt for fuel injection lines if anyone has a junk yard in their area. I'm literally at the end of the road in the upper peninsula of Michigan, so not much available.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
From the tank to the high pressure tank you can use regular fuel line, the pressure isn't more than 7psi. From the high pressure pump you need line rated for at least 40psi. You should be able to find that at any good parts place but its pricy. Or hit the scrap yard and find a similar year ford truck. F150 used the same high/low pressure pumps and the lines should work for you.