•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The Little Red Broncette

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I debated making a thread for her as she isn’t a build and I am not planning any customization but to me she is a restoration project of sorts and the list of things I have done thus far chasing my goal adds up to quite a bit already. Yet there is a long list of things still I want to do to her.

I’ve had her for 2 years now. She is a pretty much a stock 87 Bronco II with 2.9L, manual trans, manual transfer case, manual locking hubs. She has a solid body, some small dents, some surface rust but no significant structural rust or any rust-thru. She had been re-painted at some point by the previous owner. The clear coat is starting to peal in a few spots on the hood. I am her second owner.

When I got her she was in running condition good enough to be a serviceable daily driver if one isn’t too picky and one doesn’t take long trips. 4WD worked after a fashion, but vibration and some metallic sounding pings when front hubs were locked suggested issues. She showed 4K miles on the odometer when I got her. Claims were made that she only had 104K miles on her and I have some reason to believe that. Some other things suggest more like 204K miles. I doubt I will ever know.

As for me, well I am picky and want her to run as smooth as she can. My original 88 BII was purchased brand new and drover her 192K miles. I know what a BII is capable of when running well.

As for the Little Red Broncette my objective is to get her mechanically running, handling, driving on the road and snow like I know she can. I want to preserve the body as well as I can, get the few body issues fixed. Deal with some interior issues and make her more like a 4 year old with 50K miles than the old lady that she is.

I suppose I didn’t start out this ambitious. Some of the earlier done I had a shop do the work as I wasn’t so confident doing too much myself. As the shop has fallen short, failed to do good work, or showed they really didn’t know what was going on I had to educate myself (largely with the help of users in the forum here) and started getting more ambitious and doing more myself.

The Good:
  • Body was in good shape with a few dents.
  • She had been repainted at some point and paint was generally in good shape.
  • She didn’t live in the salt belt. Most of undercarriage had surface rust but no significant structural damage from rust nor anything approaching rust-through on the body. She has much less rust than my 2002 Explorer.
  • Transmission and transfer case shifts and operates fine.
  • Engine ran and drove okay, low power
  • No issues that kept her from being driven.

The bad:
  • With hubs locked there was vibration and front driveline made occasional pinging sound.
  • Wandering in steering when going over uneven pavement
  • Although she didn’t seem to have oil leaks, engine was dirty and freeze plugs were leaking.
  • Significant exhaust leaks after the muffler.
  • Liftgate latch wasn’t working properly.
  • Air conditioning not functioning
  • Clicking from rear drive shaft when accelerating in first
  • Tires not matched although they had some tread left.

Work done on her to date: (in no particular order, I indicate items I had a shop do in blue. I got shop involved because either too big, I didn't have the knowledge/tools, the weather, or just the hassle.

• Remanufactured Heads
  • Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plug
  • High/Low beam switch (headlights had become intermittent)
  • Tighten Steering Wheel
  • Transmission Oil
  • Front Differential Fluid
  • Rear Drive Shaft replaced with a u-joint shaft (address clicking issue)
  • Clutch and throw out bearing
  • Liftgate Latch Repair then broke it again and then replaced it completely
  • O2 Sensor (to address low fuel economy and running oddities)
  • Front Wheel Bearings (left bearing got severely overheated due to collapsed brake line)
  • Front Spindle Bearings (front driveline work to address front driveline vibration when hubs lockded/4WD engaged)
  • Left wheel shaft u-joint
  • Right wheel shaft outer u-joint
  • Corrected right wheel shaft phasing (cause shop didn't pay any attention so while bearings and u-joints shop did helped wrong phasing caused vibration)
  • Front Drive Shaft U-joints (part of the front end vibration problems, only became major issue after other front driveline work had made big improvements)
  • Front Brake calipers and rubber brake lines (a collapsed brake line caused vibration and drag on one wheel, caliper on other side was sticking)
  • Front pads and rotors
  • Transfer Case shift lockout plate adjustment (to resolve issue where it would not stay in 4H)
  • New Radio to replace the non-working aftermarket radio
  • Dash light bulb replacement (nice to be able to see how fast I am going when dark out again)
  • Muffler and tail pipe (got a year out of it before it got loud)
  • Passenger seatbelt latch
  • Alternator (bearing was growling and its belt was squealing)
  • Belts (while alternator was off since they were in marginal condition)
  • Hood latch adjustment
  • Tires (get a balanced set for smooth 4WD operation)
  • Tie-rod ends (one failed completely while driving, this was the big culprit causing the wandering)
  • Fan clutch (fan was always engaged)
  • Battery
  • Shocks all around
  • Coolant flush
  • EGR Valve, EGR Position Sensor and EGR Control Solenoid (was getting a code for the sensor, resolved that code, EGR valve was just very dirty inside)
  • PCV Valve and Grommet (what a mess, I can't believe the shop put old PCV valve back in after changing heads)
  • Vent Hose Grommet
  • Liftgate pneumatic cylinders
  • Rear window pneumatic cylinders
  • Thermostat (had started to run cold)
  • Warn Manual Locking Hubs (the collapsed brake line caused that whole wheel assembly to severely overheat and melted the plastic knob in the original locking hub)
  • Air Charge Temperature Sensor (original was caked with crap, part of an overall emissions review)
  • Ignition Coil (due to some intermittent operation in wet weather)
  • MAP sensor (my error here, I did diagnostic wrong, new part acted the same, upon review found using correct diagnostic procedure the original part was good, left the new one in, kept old as spare)
  • Catalytic Converter (after running thru everything else, replaced this and resolved the emissions issue, I had shop do the actual installation)
  • Liftgate striker rubber replaced (to reduce rattle)

Attachments

Last edited:

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
At the moment she is running pretty well but the left rear parking brake is frozen partially engaged and or brake cylinder is resulting in that brake to drag intermittently so that is the top priority right now.

This is my short list of items I want to address. Outside the brake item most are minor issues but often the work isn't exactly trivial..

At the moment she is running pretty well but the left rear parking brake is frozen partially engaged and or brake cylinder is resulting in that brake to drag intermittently so that is the top priority right now.

This is my short list of items I want to address. Outside the brake item most are minor issues but often the work isn't exactly trivial..

• Rear Brakes - completed 5/27/2014
  • Parking Brake - completed 5/27/2014
  • Rear Differential Fluid
  • Front Driver Side Seat Repair
  • Floorboard crack under Front Driver Side seat
  • Right side wheel shaft inner u-joint
  • Underbody rust repair and paint
  • Emblems
  • Steering Wheel Leather Wrap
  • Left front fender adjustment.
  • Body Dents
  • Resolve Intermittent Reverse Light Switch
  • Full Brake Fluid replacement - completed 5/27/2014
  • Replace Radiator Fan for one better balanced
  • Radius arm bushings
  • Tripometer
  • Speedometer clicking
  • Tachometer, resolve stickiness
  • Windshield
  • Front Window Seals
  • TTB Center Pivot bushing
  • Steering wheel
  • Water leak on front passenger
  • Rattle Reduction
  • Fuel Injectors

Last edited:

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Wrapped up rear brake work. New brake shoes, springs and hydraulic cylinders. New parking brake cables and a full system brake fluid change. She is rolling smooth again so I got her back to daily driving as I want! :yahoo:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like it's been keeping you busy? What are your plans for the floor repair?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yep she has been keeping me busy for sure. A new hobby of sorts! :)

I am not sure how to handle the crack at this point. Heck I am not certain how I am going to do 3/4 of the things on the list. Learning as I go.

The floorboards are good except for the one spot by the driver's seat. The crack is about 8 inches long running parallel to the frame rail about midway between the rail and the driver seat mount extending mostly forward of the seat mount.

While I am no lightweight I am thinking the previous owner must have been pretty heavy based on this crack and condition of drivers seat near the door.

I am thinking I will lift up the carpet and see how bad things look under there.

The general concept in my mind is that I will grind or cut away any rust and fit another piece in there and weld it in place to seal the floor.

As a patch I don't know if it will have enough strength to keep the floor from flexing so I am thinking after that, on the inside on top of the floor where it will be hidden by the carpet, welding or bolting in a somewhat thicker piece that I would run along the floor in from of the drivers seat from the frame rail to the center hub. That should add enough strength to take the weight of the seat plus driver and direct the weight load to the frame rail past the repair.

Afterwards paint it all...done! Easy as cake.

At least that is what I been thinking. And it assumes I can figure out how to weld (have access to a welder).

When I get a bit closer and get some pictures I was thinking of posting them and seeing what kind of ideas other have about how it should be fixed.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Looks great to me and I too have a laundry list and have learned a lot along the way and paid a shop for the parking brake (nothing I did fixed it). It works good now thanks to your help and the shop doing some things. Also, just had muffler from the Y back (new cat as well). Good idea that O2 sensor - think I'll pick that up this weekend.

On the floor panel...your idea sounds solid...wonder if you could bolt a "skid plate" across after welding in the panel and then attaching a bolted channel to the "skid plate"...might be overkill might not be good for "flexing" and might get in the way of the driveshaft - there is so much knowledge on here I am sure someone will know how to tackle it better than I would!

Looks like you're well on your way to making it a great Broncette!