•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Timing marks question

ffmitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I've got 2 notches cut in the crankshaft pulley near TDC. I have them marked with paint and ready to do some adjusting with my timing gun.
My problem is I'm not sure what the 2 notches represent.
I have an 84 BII with the 2.8 and a duraspark conversation..... New owner to this thing and looking for help. Thank you.

Attachments

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
There should be a series of marks. Every two or 3 degrees degrees I think and a total of 20 or 30 degrees. There doesn't happen to be some smaller marks between the two big ones?

ffmitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nothing between.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just did this today, same questions I had. there are faint marks on the balancer, I had to clean paint off it with some steel wool. that yellow mark should be TDC once you clean it good and find the marks you should see... large cut (TDC) then 4 tick marks then 12, 3 more tick marks then 20, 27 the 30. the odd thing is the numbers are separated by longer lines so it got a little confusing at first.
I just did the duraspark and set the timing at 10, 1 tick mark before the 12 and it's running great.

ffmitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You nailed it buck, I cleaned it up and found the other marks exactly as described. My apologies ab_slack for not looking better when you told me there were marks there.
I had adjusted it by ear before. I put the timing light on there and it was at the pink line (30 btdc) I tried it down around 10 and it would stall either at idling or when given gas. Why would so far advanced to run good? (By the way it's not running as good as before I messed with it)

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
When you adjusted the timing did you pull the SPOUT (think I spelled that right) plug that disable the electronic advance?

If you didn't do that, you will have set it with some electronic advance present which means you have too little advance. Normally you pull the SPOUT it will get close to stalling or may stall if not advanced enough. You adjust it for whatever it is supposed to be, 10 or 12 deg seems right, then when you put the SPOUT back in it will advance from there and be up in the mid 20 degree if I recall correctly. Whatever it is, it is more advanced than the set point when you plug the SPOUT back in.