•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

towing 89 bronco 2

russred89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2broncored
Vehicle
89 broncoll
I have an 89 Bronco 2 with manual transmission and transfer case I want to tow on a tow dolley .If I put transmission and transfer case in neutral should I still disconnect drive shaft at rear axel?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I haven't looked in my OM yet but it should give the procedure in there.......my 89 has an auto trans with an electric shift trans case with manual hubs and I think I could tow it by just getting the trans case in neutral (I understand you have to remove the shifting motor and manually select neutral). It might be different with a manual transfer case.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Transmission in gear, manual transfer case in neutral. Electric transfer case has no selector for neutral.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Yep, I checked my OM and if you have an electric shift transfer case they say to drop the driveline.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
For manual transmission, make sure hubs are disengaged, transfer case in neutral, and transmission in neutral.
For automatic transmission, hubs disengaged, transfer case and transmission in neutral.

If you have the electric shift transfer case: max speed 35mph, max distance 50 miles, if those 2 conditions are going to be exceeded removal of driveshaft is required.