•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transmission delay going into reverse

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
This has happened twice over the last couple of months.. When I back the 90 BII out of the garage which has a slight incline in reverse and come to a full stop and then put it Drive the transmission then hesitated going into drive. I started angling the BII as I come out of the garage just a little to the left and keeping it a little more on the level and it immediately shifts into drive and off I go. The transmission then shifts without any issues both up and down like clock work. Is there a known issue with the A4LD automatic transmission in shifting out of reverse into drive on a slight incline?

Thanks

Dennis

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Can we assume the transmission fluid level has been checked ? On a level surface, Engine hot, put in each gear for a couple seconds, then check the fluid in Park.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Yes you can

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Did you figure this out?
Mine has always had the trans overfilled since i got it. I leaks a little and if the fluid level gets in the normal range it slips more than usual. I just did a fluid flush and filter change and filled to the normal range it works when hot but when cold it flares really bad before going into gear. Adding another Qt of fluid takes care of it.
Since it was overfilled when I bought it I had always guessed it had the wrong dipstick or fill tube, but searching online had a few responses about overfilling fixing these types of issues.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Jerry C

I do believe that I have the same issue as you do. I now keep the trans fluid level when cold in the checkered area of the dip stick and have not had the issue again. Getting ready to take it in and have a complete flush and new filter installed.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jerry C

I do believe that I have the same issue as you do. I now keep the trans fluid level when cold in the checkered area of the dip stick and have not had the issue again. Getting ready to take it in and have a complete flush and new filter installed.

Dennis
Mine is higher than that.
Hot and idle in park it's about 3/4" above the top of the crosshatched area.
After sitting all night and not running it's at the "T" in the word "crosshatch".

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
JerryC

I checked mine this morning before starting for the first time. I am at the "t" in don't add when in the checkered area. So you are quite a bit higher.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
JerryC

I checked mine this morning before starting for the first time. I am at the "t" in don't add when in the checkered area. So you are quite a bit higher.

Dennis
I need to get underneath and see if I can get numbers off the trans to see if it is the one that came with the BII or is from another BII or a different vehicle type. The pan looks like the right one and the pn# on the dipstick is correct. It may just be that for now it needs more fluid and if/when the rebuild happens it will get fixed.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I didn't find any numbers on the trans....

So I decided to experiment. I pulled 2 qts of fluid and that got the level below the dipstick. Added about .7 qt back in to get it on the dipstick but just barely. I was thinking that the level will rise as it heats up. Let it idle for a couple of minutes, ran it through the gears and then pulled it out of the garage. Got about 150 feet before it ran dry and it wouldn't move. Added .8 qt back in and it works again. Took it for a 15 mile drive with no issues. Checked at the end of the drive and it is to the top of the crosshatch.
I'm pretty surprised by the results. If the dipstick is correct it's less then a qt from full to not moving.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
JerryC

I had the same experience. I drove it about 15 miles to my guys shop. I said check this out. Pulled the trans dip stick and there was just a touch of trans fluid on the very tip. He says you need to add a qt. When I got home I added at 3/4 of a quart that I had opened. Let is sit all day/night and checked before starting the next morning cold. The fluid was at the "t" in don't add and that is where it has stayed ever since. Like you I am not sure what to think.

Dennis

Mer925

Reaction score
Sounds like a tired tranny, the pressure needs to build higher to even work. Also there can be an issue with the torque converter that causes a stall. Our 06 explorer has not been the same since we had a new tranny installed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk