•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transmission.....ish.... Leak.

R£D*R£APER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Hello,
I have recently purchased an 85 B2.. 5SPD Manual transmission.. I have a leak that has gotten worse only after I sprayed the underside down to clean up some of the gunk before i drained my oil for an oil change. FORGIVE THE NEXT SENTENCE IM NOT A MECHANIC!! The leak seems to be coming from (correct me if any of this sounds out of place) where the oil pan stops and the transmission case begins.. HERE COMES MY REAL STUPIDITY ON THE SUBJECT... Is this oil or fluid from the transmission? I looked for a dipstick to check the level of fluid in the tranny but cannot find it. Sorry guys, I swear I'm not stupid I just dont know because my mechanical career took a dump when I bought a classic Saab for my first car and my dad said he wouldnt help me work on an azzbackward vehicle... I'm not a bad mechanic just undereducated.. I do have chiltons manual and maybe I'm missing it but it really only seems to delve into auto transmissions... IF by some miracle... This has made enough sense for somebody to tell me what it is.. Is this a simple gasket fix or would it be a total nightmare? I can get a picture tomorrow if that helps... Any help is appreciated!

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Plenty of places that oil could be leaking from. Worst case its a rear main crankshaft seal, or the front seal of the transmission. Worst case because it means pulling one or both to replace the seal/s. Could also be a clutch slave cylinder but you probably have notice hard shifting if that was the case.
Other possible causes are the oil pan, the valve covers - one or both, distributor o-ring, and I'm not sure if there is a oil pressure sensor at the back of the engine....I may be thinking of a different engine...I've never worked on the 2.8l which is what you have if its stock.