•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Updating the 2.9L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

eureka24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l bored to 3.0l High Comp.
Flat top pistons

I noticed that the 2.8l flat top piston swap is addressed, but seemingly never been tried.

When i rebuilt the 2.9l at 215k i swapped the 2.8l pistons into the 2.9l. It was VERY complicated to figure out if they would actually work, lots of measurements and math, (how far a rod stretches at high rpm?!) but it is possible with a few modifications.

so, The Tech:

I bored my 2.9l .025 over, and used STL-433NP20 sealed power flat top pistons, with chromoly rings.

The piston skirts on the 2.8l pistons are longer than the 2.9l pistons, so approximately .030 will need to be shaved off the crankshaft counter balance weights.

The Effect:

Running a stock replacement cam, high volume oil pump, 16lb injectors, full intake port and polish and flat top pistons.

Definite power increase, NO drop in low end power and it will pull all the way to redline even on 87 octane gas.

The Conclusion:

Its everything you could want for a performance increase on a budget, it worked for me, and even passed CA smog.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I noticed that the Tech Library has a 3.0 rebuild and 4.0 rebuild articles, but nothing on the 2.9. A good 2.9L rebuild article would be nice for those of us who are still interested in doing one.

OrganNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I noticed that the Tech Library has a 3.0 rebuild and 4.0 rebuild articles, but nothing on the 2.9. A good 2.9L rebuild article would be nice for those of us who are still interested in doing one.

:agree: Im going to be facing this soon. But being green when it comes to these things, some expertise and well informed direction from those with more trained brain cells than i would be most welcome!

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
As much as I loved my 2.9L, it did more work than I thought a little V6 could do.
But when it came time to rebuild her (cyl 3 rings broke). To do it right to do it was about the same cost if not more than a 4.0L or a 5.0L.
With a lot of good running 4.0L's round I desided to do a swap. It ended up being cheaper, I got the motor and wiring for about $350. I pretty much get the same millage and I have yet have not looked back.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

slinky

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
dang, this 2.9 section is hella sad....where are all the good stickys??? there has got to be some decent info in the archives here...

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
yes the 2.9 is deff the bastard child of all the engines. I dont know how many Ranger Forums and sites I read just pertaining to the 2.9 and the lack of information or neglegence towards them. Sick of seeing "swap in a 4.0"

I was going to go the 5.0 route with my GT but planned on keeping the 2.9 for originality purposes and to squeeze a little extra out of the old 6.

Currently in the process of Porting the Upper and Lower intake manifolds. Im taking alot of pictures of before and the process through porting these intakes specifically for this engine. Also have measurements and areas to look out for when porting. Hopefully have a how to with pictures so people can benefit from it who may be looking into doing the same to the 2.9. Keeping low cost in mind as well when performing modifications such as this and other "performance" gains.

Matt

Last edited:

Goathic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
For
I have to Agree

Would be nice having something of a guide to help with a rebuild of a 2.9L or getting a good donor 2.9L to build. Something in Parts section on parts for older rangers and rebuild kits. The other thing I have a hard time finding is a conversion to convert a 2.9L to run on propane or natural gas. :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I really want to rebuild my 2.9L soon hopefully if I do I'll definitely make a thread for it. I have a couple questions about a company I found online that hasn't been mentioned here. Tom Morana (I think that's how you spell his last name) racing has a Stroker kit and a box intake for the 2.9L any thoughts?

Sent using Tapatalk

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Morana makes good stuff. Not sure that I would waste the money stroking a 2.9 when a 4.0 is just as easy and more effective for performance gains.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
At this point and time a 4.0L swap is out of my reach and a 2.9L rebuild is

Sent using Tapatalk

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Then I say go for it. If you're going to rebuild it, you might as well improve it and have fun while you're doing it.

As much as I like the 2.9, I do think it's worth doing a 4.0 instead but I understand where you are coming from.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Then I say go for it. If you're going to rebuild it, you might as well improve it and have fun while you're doing it.

As much as I like the 2.9, I do think it's worth doing a 4.0 instead but I understand where you are coming from.
Thanks for understanding jhammel

Sent using Tapatalk

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Eh, it could always be worse. Nothing wrong with a 2.9....Unless you overheat it of course.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yea I've been doing a lot of reading got a very reputable radiator shop near me so I'm going to see if I can get a 2 row radiator with electric fans 180 thermostat etc no plates on the B2 yet been ripping the AC out of it recently went to start it today make sure I haven't messed with anything else now I have a very minor tick in the valves

Sent using Tapatalk

6or9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
kinda urgent...have class tonight

I want to show my teacher tonight that i do my best to reasearch, that being said....i have a 1990 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9 and i have to do timing for class and so far noo luck!!!
I have a timing gun, almost any other tooli need.....WHAT AM I MISSING???
Any info would save my life. Thanks everyone

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Info on the 5.0L injector swap and specs on the installation of a set of 2.8L pistons into the 2.9.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but when you go to Summit Racing via the link for the improved design cylinder heads, Summit says they're no longer available.