•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

v8 swap questions

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was just thinking about the 4x4 shifter on a v8 c4, its alot different than a stock b2 shifter to engage the tcase. How does the c4 shifter connect to the 1350 case?

I was thinking of using a c5 from a ranger and just swapping in a c4 tailhousing and output shaft. Is that all that is required? Ive read tech articles but wanna make sure with a few ppl before i do it.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
They did put c-5s behind v-8s as well. Nobody makes aftermarket parts for a c-5. I'm pretty sure a c-4 bell and t.c. will bolt to a c-5. I have both here-i could try it. Most people use the c-5 tailshaft and housing on the c-4.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Memory is fuzzy, but a long time ago I had a V6 T-bird with a C5 that ended up needing rebuilt and I think a C5 is just a C4 with a lockup convertor and OD.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
will the ranger c5 bolt directly to a 302 or will i need to swap in a c4 bellhousing?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
There is a little swapping you have to do. A C5 is pretty much a C4 with a lockup converter. A RBV C5 tailshaft will bolt on a C4 with no problems at all. To make a Ranger C5 work with a 302 you will need a C4 converter, bellhousing and valvebody. You can then use a standard fullsize t-case extension housing or the RBV housing. When I use a C4 I used an aftermarket shifter. Easy to hook up and no linkage problems to work with.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
There is a little swapping you have to do. A C5 is pretty much a C4 with a lockup converter. A RBV C5 tailshaft will bolt on a C4 with no problems at all. To make a Ranger C5 work with a 302 you will need a C4 converter, bellhousing and valvebody. You can then use a standard fullsize t-case extension housing or the RBV housing. When I use a C4 I used an aftermarket shifter. Easy to hook up and no linkage problems to work with.

Matt
thanks. Would it be best to buy a c4 trans for parts (converter, valvebody, and bellhousing) or buy the parts seperate? I found some valvebodies on summitracing.com but it seems i could buy a whole trans and get it all cheaper.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i have a question about using a v8 c4 with Advance Adaptors plate. With the stock b2 4x4 linkage, it bolts from the trans to the 1350 t-case, . With the v8 c4, will my current stock linkage bolt to the side of the c4? If it doesnt, what linkage works? Thanks!

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Your stock linkage should work. The AA kit consists of a different extension housing for the C4. The shifter location should be adjusted so that you can use the stock shifter. The shifter doesn't actually attach to the transmission itself but rather the tailshaft housing.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Your stock linkage should work. The AA kit consists of a different extension housing for the C4. The shifter location should be adjusted so that you can use the stock shifter. The shifter doesn't actually attach to the transmission itself but rather the tailshaft housing.

Matt
alright sweet, thanks for the fast reply. Very helpful board!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
as far as the tranny goes.....................b&m........easy to put in..i got a mega shifter on ebay for 50 bucks or so

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
I agree, use an aftermarket transmission shifter. Cable pulled, no linkage to worry about. Easy to hook up and has a better shift than a stocker. I used a B&M prostick, was around $150 new. I loved it, reverse lock out, positive shifts to each gear. I wish I never sold it when I got rid of the C4 because I will be buying another one if I decide to use a C6.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i would rather had a mustang t-5 trans with the AA adaptor plate but havent heard of anyone doing it. Anyone ave any info on a t5 swap? What needs to be swapped in to make it work?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
You won't find an AA adapter plate, at least a new one. The have stopped making them from a few years now. The guys who have them want a golden price usually. There is a way to use chevy t-5 parts to convert it over but they aren't going to be V8 spec parts. Probably the strongest and cheapest way to use a t-5 is to use a divorced t-case. Use the t-5 as is, then a little driveshaft to a divorced t-case (dana 24 is the most common ford one but there is an NP205 as well), then the front and rear driveshafts. Your other 5 speed choices are the M5OD-R2 from the F-150 or the ZF found anywhere from the 150 to the 450.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
thanks for the info..i think ill stick with the automatic since there's more options.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i might actually run a np435 or something else because i already have the clutch pedal in it. What all needs to be done to hookup a manual trans? Im new to this. Is it worth it vs an automatic?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
The only thing you have to remember is that those are truck transmissions and they wont' shift fast like a T5 or an automatic with a shift kit. Some of the older trans like the NP435 or the T18 or 19 are shifted with a fork, you can convert it to hydraulic easily. The M5ODR2 is almost identical to the M5ODR1 in the ranger and the Ranger's stock clutch line will plug right in.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i found this to find out what trucks has the M50DR1 and 02 trannys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_M5OD_transmission. I think i might have the M50DR1 in my truck right now because i know its a Mistubishi trans and its a 5 speed. Will this trans hold up to a v8 with an adaptor plate or should i get a M50DR2 out of a f150 or bronco? Will my stock hydraulic clutch line work? I think its similar to the ranger's line.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Correct, the straight 6 and the 302. Reguardless it is the same transmission because they both have the SBF bell pattern.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
sounds like an easy swap with the M5ODr2. What is a good t-case to use in combo with it? np205? I have a bw1350 but i dont believe the spline counts are the same.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
The NP205 or 208 is good. The 208 is a little of a tight fit but with some very minor trimming on the case and at most 1/4in on the bottom of the frame and it fits well. The 205 fits as is but it is extremely heavy and has a poor 1.96:1 low range, but it is super tough.

Matt