•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Vacuum leak near the brake pedal?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
In my 86 B2, last night I was driving and I heard a noise, a psssssssssssssssssss, sound coming from near the brake pedal. I thought it might had been a leaking brake hose or something and I mashed the pedal and it didn't seem to be loosing pressure or anything. The weather has been crappy so I haven't been able to check it out but any ideas what could be in that area to cause it. I know it's near the pedal because when I put my foot on the brake and mash a little it sounds like my foot is blocking it. I haven't notice any difference in how the truck runs so I don't know what it could be. Thanks for the help!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Vacuum brake booster. If it is vacuum.

There's a big hose that goes into the booster, typically on the front of it behind the master cylinder reservoir.

Pull it off and cap it, with the engine off. Start the engine, See if your noise went away. If so replace the booster.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Check the rubber grommet on the check valve. Mine did the same exact thing and it turned out to be a split in the grommet at the 6:00 position.

S-

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
If it was an issue with the brake booster would there be an other issues I would notice? Also would I still have good brakes if the booster was failing? Thanks

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My 84 B2 is doing the same thing, its the grommet on the end of that hose on the brake booster that is bad causing the vacuum leak. Don't replace the booster unless it is in fact failing you'll waste your money, I think there should be a replacement hose for that if I'm not mistaken.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If it was an issue with the brake booster would there be an other issues I would notice? Also would I still have good brakes if the booster was failing? Thanks
Depends how bad the leak is. Usually they are diagnosed and fixed before you feel a loss of power assist/ or have a hard pedal.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If the brake booster is failing you will have a loss of the power brakes meaning the brake pedal will be harder to press to get any braking effect, you won't lose your brakes, it would just be like driving without power brakes, meaning you have to apply a heavier amount of force to the brake pedal to stop. If you are having those symptoms you will have to replace your brake vacuum booster.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
if you have cruise control there is a vaccuum switch at the pedal to cut the the c/c. the biggest bummer is the hose is barely accessable without pulling the dash. i hope this helps

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
if you have cruise control there is a vaccuum switch at the pedal to cut the the c/c. the biggest bummer is the hose is barely accessable without pulling the dash. i hope this helps
If your cruise doesnt work anyway, just cap the line in the engine bay and call it a day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah i have cruise control and it doesn't work. I was half tempted just to pull everything out and clean up under the hood. Hopefully soon I will get a good day to check it out and see what the issue is. I hope I just cracked the check valve or something with my big clumsy feet. I drove it again last night to go pull out a buddy that was stuck and the noise is still there and the brakes work fine so I am guessing that it is just a cracked line and check valve.