•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Vacuum Lines

robert.humm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
I am in the process of working on an 84 bronco ii. when i purchased it, none of the vacuum lines were hooked up.. not even the egr lines. what are the necessary lines to reinstall for proper engine function, rather than just for emissions control?

John Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
it may have been durasparked....

does it run?....if it has been modified..it will actually run great w/o ANY computer or vacuum control..at least not using the vacuum manifold....get up to speed on the durapsark conversion...you may find someone has done that....

FYI if it has been converted...it will run very good..but may NOT be smog legal in your area....maybe it is used for race application only?....

robert.humm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
yes, it runs. i just had to put a new transfer case in it.. & when i got it done i tried to drive it but it had like no power. it was backfiring through the carb while i was driving. so i am in the process of rebuilding the carb. but i have read that if your egr is bad that could also cause the lack of power? so i thought maybe if the egr wasn't hooked up that would explain that. it has not been durasparked. what does it cost to make the conversion.. roughly?

John Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
depends on where you get the parts but...

you will need a distributor from a late 70's pinto, and duraspark blue module from the same years....mustang 2 etc, and best case..a non-electric carb. you can make the harneses, etc...you've prbably seen the writeup in the tech files for the conversion....

the usual parts houses carrys everything...or they can be found used...
usually about 115$ or so covers all but the carb....

it really is the way to go imho....

it really WILL run w/o the puter....as many here have testified....do a search and you will see that many have done this..and good luck....

I kinda envy you having an 84..I've been looking for a really clean one to build up myself....i have an 88, and now an 87....the computers are kewl..but i have the stuff already to duraspark an 84-85...i bought the stuff to do an 84" ranger but decided not to do finish the 2wd-4wd convert so i switched to b2's.....

have fun

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Do you have the wires and connectors for the emissions still there. When it is running take a vacuum line and hook it up to the egr while it is idleing the engine should stop. To get all the emissions working correct can get real expensive and may not even work. I would say connect everything according to the vacuum diagram and make sure all the sensors are connected a carb rebuild couldnt hurt. disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to reset the computer there is a good vacuum diagram in the tech library for your engine. Is it timed correct and make sure you have no vacuum leaks and if the egr dont work it could be the heads are plugged you can pull it off to clean it just make sure you get a new gasket to put it back on. The tech library has all the duraspark info you just need to get lucky to find a good 2150 non feedback carb but you can use the feedback carb you have you just need to put a metering block on the back of it for proper operation. are you burning oil valve guide seals would help also depending on how many miles are on it Use the tech library it can help on your TFI ignition also. Just ask questions someone here can help. I did the duraspark and coud not be happier It starts cold without stalling plenty of power pretty good mileage I cant wait for spring to get here my boat is almost ready also.

robert.humm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
i have all the wires & connectors still. but all the vacuum hoses are gone, as well as some of the other parts. for example, everything off the breather on the front of the carb is gone. there are no lines or parts, the spout is free. i just checked the timing & it is on. this is currently my primary vehicle.. so im in a bit of a dilemma. i would like to go ahead & duraspark it.. but it will probably be a few weeks. its just a shame i already bought a new egr, egr position sensor, new throttle position sensor lol.. etc. oh well.. live & learn i guess.

thanks for the continuing help guys. i appreciate it!