•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Weatherstripping FTW!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had done the doors and windows a couple of years ago and that really fixed a lot of rattles. But I never got around to doing the hatch. Did the hatch today, easy 20 minute job, and again a big reduction in rattles. Makes a big difference in my state of mind not hearing the hatch rattle and bang when I hit some bumps.

If you have old beat up weatherstripping I heartily recommend replacing it. It is not expensive and and it's easy to do.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I 2nd Jerry's recommendation. Changing the weather striping out on my 90 B2 back in 2015 when I got it made a huge difference in the wind noise and the rattles. Well worth both the time and money. Also look at installing new Dorman Striker Bolt Bushing on the doors and the hatch makes all the difference in the world and is easy to do.

Dennis

Last edited:

RGHELMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I might have to try this. I replaced the bushings but still have a loose rear hatch. When its closed I can grab the handle and move it back and forth. Also have to give it a good yank to get it to open so if anyone has a suggestion on that part let me know

UncleRuckusII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I don't have the rattles but I have a hiss. When I accelerate I can hear it over my right shoulder.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I might have to try this. I replaced the bushings but still have a loose rear hatch. When its closed I can grab the handle and move it back and forth. Also have to give it a good yank to get it to open so if anyone has a suggestion on that part let me know
My guess is that strikers are adjusted too tight or off a little bit. Maybe grease up the catches too.

If the weatherstripping is old and tired, new weatherstripping will take out the slack you feel.

Jsmiles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys! Just picked up my 89 B2.......Any recommendations on where or which weatherstripping to purchase? :)

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Check rockauto.com out

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys! Just picked up my 89 B2.......Any recommendations on where or which weatherstripping to purchase? :)
Where:
You find the most BII stuff at these two places;
Jeffs Bronco Graveyard
LMC Truck

Somethings you can get almost anywhere and weatherstripping can be found at many places. I like to support JBG and LMC because they specialize parts for the BII's. If they go under it will rough on us.

Which:
All of it ! Seriously, even the stuff that looks ok is still almost 30 years old. All of it is pretty easy to do and doesn't require any special tools. The ones that took me the longest were the window felts but even then it was around an hour or two.

smccrory60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Where:
You find the most BII stuff at these two places;
Jeffs Bronco Graveyard
LMC Truck

Somethings you can get almost anywhere and weatherstripping can be found at many places. I like to support JBG and LMC because they specialize parts for the BII's. If they go under it will rough on us.

Which:
All of it ! Seriously, even the stuff that looks ok is still almost 30 years old. All of it is pretty easy to do and doesn't require any special tools. The ones that took me the longest were the window felts but even then it was around an hour or two.
I'll second LMC Truck. 3yrs ago when I repainted my 85 BII I got all of the weather stripping from LMC. Fair price, good quality, and GREAT service.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk