•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Weird noise coming from my 88 BII??

eyyowassup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hey all!

First post and I'm hoping I can get some opinions on where this noise is coming from on my 88 B2. First off, I know very little to nothing about cars and how to fix them, I'm using this B2 as a learning opportunity to understand them better.

I'm continuously hearing a grinding/rattling sound coming from somewhere near under the front seats or front axel, the sound happens only at lower speeds (around 10 to 15 mph) when my foot is on the gas. It's a relatively loud noise and my initial thought is that it has something to do with the exhaust/muffler. It seems to more noticeable with higher temperatures (located in southern California) so I'm also wondering if it has to do with something pressing up against something else. Any help is appreciated, let me know your thoughts, and sorry if the explanation is vague.

Thanks!

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Wow......could be lots of different things. Check underneath for anything loose that could be vibrating, U-joints make some strange noises when going bad, wiggle them around to see of there is any play (play means its bad). Put it on jack stands and have someone run it while you crawl around underneath looking and listening. Be very careful.............

eyyowassup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Thanks I'll definitely take a look around and see what I can find, I found that the noise only happens when in drive also, I tried revving it up in neutral and didn't hear any noises. Quite the head scratcher for me

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Sounds like something in the drive train....tranny, transfer case, drive line or rearend/axles.....drop the drive line and run it and that will tell you if its trans/transfer case or driveline/rear end.