•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What a bitchin forum. What would you do?

jdflatten

Reaction score
I loved the ranger station to death when I owned my 02 Ranger. I put 146K on it and never once had to take it to a shop for repairs. This seems like an equally "neat" place for these little broncos. I think they are cooler than the 900 Jeeps that troll the streets of this 9000 pop college town.

Here's the scoop.

I just bought a 86 BII for 250 bucks. My buddy owns a small town sinclair station and he got it from some hippie from the college.

Most likely it hasn't been driven since 06. It's a straight little rig, looks like it came out of a time machine.

Last night, after I bought it, I fired it up. The tank just had a trace of gas in it, and it was no doubt totally foul. Anyway, it started and ran half assed, spit, sputtered, ran semi -smooth, and quit. I went home.

After work today, I went to fire it up, and it just sputtered. Put 2 gallons of good gas in it, some sea foam in the gas tank. Nothing.

I found the canister type fuel filter, and replaced it. It was pretty sorry looking. After I did that, it sure acted like it wanted to run but didn't.

It will start right up and hum for 4 seconds with a shot of ether so Ive got spark.

When I turn the key to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump kick on for about 2 seconds.

That's as far as I've made it.

You guys seem like you know wtf is going on so I want to hear what you would do in order. Lets see who's opinion differs from the next.

I will post the results as well as my progress with this little turd so someone will get bragging rights if they nail it.

It's a neat little rig and my hope is to use it to turn it into a MODEST little 4 wheeler and it will be the main caddy for my Coonhounds.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

jdflatten

Reaction score
"Bitchin"

Bitchin......1997, ..The correct word used to describe something awesome, kick ass, rad, great, super, or.........splendid.

jdflatten

Reaction score
..........................................Dude.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That year may have two fuel pumps, a lift or transfer pump in the tank and the high pressure pump on the LH frame rail. Are both running?

jdflatten

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I don't know for sure. If it does have a second pump, is it to the rear of the fuel filter? I guess what I am going by is that it makes a hrrrrrrm sound for about 2 seconds after I turn the key on, similar to the sound my 91 explorer makes. Now I want to drive into town and look for the second pump, but I'll wait till mornin'.

Question... Why so many variations on pump, filter combos on this rig? The parts man at Sturdevants tonight was trying to distinguish between an in line such and such filter or a canister type. And now maybe 1, maybe two fuel pumps? ........

Thanks guys.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
two pump is standard on all ranger and bronco2 with the 2.9. do ya a little readin and search i bet it is something simple could be the fuel shut off switch. do u know where it is at. but i am betting it is the fuel pump on the frame rail as it is the pressure pump. and the fuel pump running for a few seconds is it building up pressure. u ge get it running strong it gonna b bitchin

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Suzuki,Inf
Engine Size
goodluck with the new truck! (or SUV if I can even call it that, lol) lets see some pics!

jdflatten

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

First thing in the morning, I'm gonna go hunting for a pressure pump on the left frame rail.

Something in my plumbing brain is telling me that this has something to do with the fact that after sitting for a few hundred days, I went ahead and started it with that old crappy gas swilling around in the bottom of the tank. I think this because the first time I went to start it after it sitting, it fired up and ran sub-par, and now, it refuses to start. I think Maybe I sucked some bad gas up and am paying the consequenses now.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thanks guys,

First thing in the morning, I'm gonna go hunting for a pressure pump on the left frame rail.

Something in my plumbing brain is telling me that this has something to do with the fact that after sitting for a few hundred days, I went ahead and started it with that old crappy gas swilling around in the bottom of the tank. I think this because the first time I went to start it after it sitting, it fired up and ran sub-par, and now, it refuses to start. I think Maybe I sucked some bad gas up and am paying the consequenses now.
that's what i'm thinking too.the transfer pump in the tank is probably done.what you are hearing is the high pressure pump on the frame.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Vehicle
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
A 1986 bll has 2 fuel pumps. One in the tank and one on the frame under a shield by the radius arm on the driver’s side. Plus 2 fuel filters ,one behind the rail pump. That’s the “canister type, the bottom of the filter unscrews to remove the cartridge filter.the other is passed the rail pump on the frame next to the engine. The fuel pumps and the front line filter have clips that hold the lines in place. They come off easily with a screw driver or needle nose pliers. The running you hear is the ECM running the pumps for 2 seconds, priming the fuel rail. The pumps come on continuously after start. You can Jump the fuel pumps at the test connection for the code reader. Key on not running. The tech section has a drawing of the test conector showing the fuel pump terminal.
Use a jumper to ground the connection at the battery negative post. Have a friend get down on the ground by the drives side door and listen for the rail pump to run. Then back at the drives side rear tire for the in tank pump. Or you can do it yourself. Sounds to me as if it’s bad gas. I’d take the schrader valve out of the fuel rail and hook a hose up to it and do the jumper to flush the bad gas out. The schrader valve is on the right side of the intake manifold. It might have a cap on it. If you’ve ever removed the valve stem from a tire then you know what it looks like. I’ve become quite familiar with the fuel system on my 86. Two new pumps, filters ,inertia switch and fuel pressure tester.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
two pump is standard on all ranger and bronco2 with the 2.9. do ya a little readin and search i bet it is something simple could be the fuel shut off switch. do u know where it is at. but i am betting it is the fuel pump on the frame rail as it is the pressure pump. and the fuel pump running for a few seconds is it building up pressure. u ge get it running strong it gonna b bitchin
two pumps are standard up to and including 1988. In 1989 they went to a one pump setup on the Bronco II in the tank. Rangers I'm not sure about. As stated, the one in the tank is a low pressure pump and the one on the frame rail just under the drivers feet is a high pressure pump. Check to make sure both are running, my 88 has a tendency to loose ground on the high pressure pump from time to time due to corroision I'm guessing. When I loose the high pressure pump it won't start at all.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Got it guys.

Bad Gas.

Drove it home a half hour ago.

Maybe someone can figure this one.

This is an 86, and I can not for the life of me find the second, in line fuel filter. I found the one you unscrew and replaced it, found the high pressure pump, but I looked EVERYWHERE and can't find the "plug in" canister type filter. Thanks for all your help!!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Bad gas will make it run pretty crappy.

The other filter is on the frame rail, forward of the HP pump, in the section of the frame that angles upwards.if you crawl under and lay so that your right side is touching the rear of the LF tire and look straight up and a bit forward, you should see it.

jdflatten

Reaction score
Thanks, I will go look again, but I swear on my Bronco II that it's not there.

Got her home, still running pretty crappy, must still have some bad gas. But...........every pass up and down my 1/4 mile long driveway, she gets just a little better. I swapped the old oil and filter out and topped her off with some dino 5 30 and a motorcraft filter. WORTHLESS Sturdevants was not open so I couldn't get a new set of plug wires , but swapped the plugs out with the only thing wallmart had, autolite platinum. Oh well.

She might blow up tomorrow, but she........I think I'll call her Myrtle, shifts crisply, 4X4 works, and the steering and suspension is tighter than a bulls ass during fly season. Hopefully I can resolve the spitting sputtering gas issue over time.

Off I go to find that filter, then maybe a beer.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
It's there, might be somewhat behind a piece of metal. It's held in place with a hose clamp, really close to the engine crossmember.