•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What can I service on 4ALD

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Getting ready to have my 90 Bronco II 4ALD transmission serviced with a full flush. At that time I will have a new Mortorcraft transmission filter and gasket installed. Is there any other parts that can be changed out during this service with the transmission pan cover off or at that time is there any thing else that I should have checked?

Dennis

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If its not giving any trouble just do a fluid change and replace the filter.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Thanks Bill

Dennis

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
No problem. My 88 B2 is the 2nd A4LD vehicle I've had and just spend $2400 on a rebuild. I seriously hope this transmission lasts many years otherwise its getting thrown away and replaced with an older 3 speed auto...I seriously hate the A4LD, worst transmission by far I think...Had a 93 Ranger that ate 2 A4LD's. 1st I understood because of how my cousin drove it, but the 2nd one was very light 2k towing maybe a couple times a year, had a transmission cooler put in after the 1st rebuild...only lasted about 13k before it blew...Hope my 88 B2's A4LD lasts longer...a lot longer. Supposedly AAMCO beefed it up but I still don't really trust it...I'll never be towing with the Bronco 2 so I hope that helps too LOL.

If you don't already have a transmission cooler install one or have one installed...heat kills automatic transmissions...and looking at an A4LD wrong I think kills them too it seems like.

You know there's a problem when there's a 39+ page thread all about problems with the A4LD LOL.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50956

Also a poll on which years were the worst. Not really sure how accurate the poll is but anyhow here's the link to that one.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52101

Not trying to discourage your vehicle, just trying to give a bit of a heads up if it starts giving you trouble...its normal LOL. Call a reputable transmission shop and mention A4LD, they seem to run away from you LOL.

Last edited:

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Bill

Good info thanks. I already have a transmission cooler. Actually I guess I have 2. One through the radiator and 1 via the aux transmission cooler that was already installed when I bought the BII. The A4LD shifts like butter and other than discovering that it like's a little more transmission fluid then what the dip stick calls for I have had no problems with it. I think if I ever do have to have the transmission rebuilt I might go with Jasper. When I bought the BII back in August of 2015 the original owners were 2 older sisters who had bought it new in March of 90 in Martinsville, VA. It has never been off road and looks like new. It had 103,xxx miles on in. From May of 2001 until Aug of 2015 they only put 30,xxx miles on it.

Dennis

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I love my Bronco 2. But that transmission is the weakest link LOL. Mine doesn't have a tow package and I already have a truck for those duties anyhow, may still add a receiver hitch just to put a hitch carrier back there for camping, but other than that it won't be doing any towing.