•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What did you do to your Bronco today?

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

Dennis

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
From my recollection, such as it is...
In winter it's more around 1/3 mark and in summer it's near the halfway point and it doesn't go noticeably above that.
I think the ~half way point is where my e-fan kicks in and I think I set that at 195 degrees.
I drove the BII today. It's 60 degrees outside. While driving it stays at the bottom side of the "L". My e-fan kicks on when it hits the top of the "A".
As soon as the BII is moving the engine is cold enough that the e-fan turns off.

I don't think it is hot enough outside to get the engine hot enough to get the thermostat fully open.

Lira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
It’s not so much what I did to my Bronco today as what I’ll be doing thru the spring and summer. I’ve got an 85 that has been an on going project for several years. I started with a body lift and well it some how grew into a full body off frame restoration. Not one of those fancy rotisserie back to factory restos . A redneck with a barn, a screwdriver and a rusty pair of pliers kind. Her current condition is an arguably 50% done but are we ever truly done?🤔 my goal is to drive her under her own power by the end of summer. Mind you I still have a job working 40 to 60 hours a week. Body is back on, new everything, I even threw a running 2.8 duraspark View attachment 15586back in her till I get to the 5.0 portion of the project. The only brakes are the pedal a new power booster and master cylinder and that’s it. No shocks, rotted tires, no fuel tank, no exhaust past y pipe, and that’s just for starters. I’ve got a back porch full of new parts to get the party started. I’m thinking I should start a build thread To help liven up this joint. Seems it goes weeks in here with no new posts. So what do y’all think.
Yes!!! Do your Build thread! I just bought a 1989 Bronco 2 4x4 yesterday and I’m so excited to get it perfect.

Lira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I bought a 1989 Ford Bronco 2 xlt 4x4 yesterday. Here it is :love:. Taking it to mechanic tomorrow to get it checked out but when I bought It I had someone look at it and power steering is leaking bad. I bought this baby for $3,500. What do you all think?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Congrats on the new to you Bronco II @Lira

Looks like a pretty nice truck... and how the market has affected pricing of these trucks... $3500 for a driver is a pretty good deal.

It doesn't look like it's had a "solid axle swap"... but I could be wrong. It really could have one of three front ends. D28... D28 hybrid or if you're lucky a D35. All of those are what we call TTB (Twin Traction Beam) axles. A couple pictures of it would help to identify what you have.

Between your VIN number and the driver door sticker... and a bit of research on the net... you can decipher what your new truck was built with. But as these trucks aged... people did a bunch of swapping of parts so what it was built with may not still be what it has.to suit your needs

Be sure to check out the Tech Library here on the site... it has a bunch of information to help you decipher what you have and also some how to articles to help mod it to suit your needs.

Welcome to BroncoCorral...

Lira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Congrats on the new to you Bronco II @Lira

Looks like a pretty nice truck... and how the market has affected pricing of these trucks... $3500 for a driver is a pretty good deal.

It doesn't look like it's had a "solid axle swap"... but I could be wrong. It really could have one of three front ends. D28... D28 hybrid or if you're lucky a D35. All of those are what we call TTB (Twin Traction Beam) axles. A couple pictures of it would help to identify what you have.

Between your VIN number and the driver door sticker... and a bit of research on the net... you can decipher what your new truck was built with. But as these trucks aged... people did a bunch of swapping of parts so what it was built with may not still be what it has.to suit your needs

Be sure to check out the Tech Library here on the site... it has a bunch of information to help you decipher what you have and also some how to articles to help mod it to suit your needs.

Welcome to BroncoCorral...
Awesome! Thanks for the information! I appreciate it, I honestly don’t know but here is the vin # I can upload more photos just let me know what areas to take photos of .

Attachments

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Lira

Nice find.

Dennis

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
How much did you spend? Post details on which you bought please?, looks so great
I gave up keeping track of how much I’ve spent. Project started as a 3” body lift. Rusted through body mount brackets and while I got the body up why not pull the frame out and clean it up a little and 7 years later here we are. I get alot of parts from broncograveyard on line. They have prices listed if you wanna check it out. But I also shop around for pricing.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Awesome! Thanks for the information! I appreciate it, I honestly don’t know but here is the vin # I can upload more photos just let me know what areas to take photos of .
I'm gonna share a link to the sister site to this one... The Ranger Station. This site has a Tech Library although it's not as "complete" as the Library over at TRS. This link will get you started figuring out what you have. There is a world of information on the Rangers there... but much of it is the same as your Bronco II. They share the same platform.

The Ford Safety Compliance Label (Federal Sticker) - The Ranger Station

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I gave up keeping track of how much I’ve spent. Project started as a 3” body lift. Rusted through body mount brackets and while I got the body up why not pull the frame out and clean it up a little and 7 years later here we are. I get alot of parts from broncograveyard on line. They have prices listed if you wanna check it out. But I also shop around for pricing.
Glad to see you're still around...

Any updates on the project... or still too busy to get any garage time?

I'm headed up to Kalkaska on Monday for a week at deer camp. Looks like they got a bunch of snow...

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Glad to see you're still around...

Any updates on the project... or still too busy to get any garage time?

I'm headed up to Kalkaska on Monday for a week at deer camp. Looks like they got a bunch of snow...
Some progress. Brakes are done. New fuel tank and straps. Got the driveshaft on and the truck now moves and stops on her own. Been pushing her around for 7 years. She’s in the barn stall for the winter. Tires shocks and new floor covering are next. Hope to drive her to town next year. Maybe some ice cream. 🤔

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
These showed up at the end of my driveway today. 5 fresh 33x10.50x15 General Grabbers.

I also ordered a pair of Affordable Offroad bumpers. They don't list a rear bumper for a Bronco II so I asked them if they would be interested in taking their XJ rear elite bumper and making brackets for the BII. I just sent off a bunch of pictures and measurements to build brackets. They might just end up offering one for sale on their website. Potential good news for anyone in the market.

20230327_124525.jpg

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
These showed up at the end of my driveway today. 5 fresh 33x10.50x15 General Grabbers.

I also ordered a pair of Affordable Offroad bumpers. They don't list a rear bumper for a Bronco II so I asked them if they would be interested in taking their XJ rear elite bumper and making brackets for the BII. I just sent off a bunch of pictures and measurements to build brackets. They might just end up offering one for sale on their website. Potential good news for anyone in the market.

View attachment 16061
I JUST asked AOR about exactly that last week and they said they weren't aware of any such application, but to let them know if I figure it out...

Obviously you have a rapport/conversation going with them and if their rear bumper is anywhere near as awesome which is sitting on my garage floor right now waiting to be installed, I'm in Dude!

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I JUST asked AOR about exactly that last week and they said they weren't aware of any such application, but to let them know if I figure it out...

Obviously you have a rapport/conversation going with them and if their rear bumper is anywhere near as awesome which is sitting on my garage floor right now waiting to be installed, I'm in Dude!
I'm going to have a follow up conversation with them tomorrow after they've looked at what I sent them. He didn't think it would be any trouble... but we will see.

I chose the XJ bumper because it follows the same profile as the front XJ bumper which is the same as the early Ranger bumper. The problem is... the XJ has a body mounted license plate. So I will have to relocate the license plate to the tire carrier after I build it. Here is the link to the one I chose. I also also asked for an additional 1/2 in length on the brackets so the center post of my tire carrier would clear the rear hatch handle and wiper arm.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I'm going to have a follow up conversation with them tomorrow after they've looked at what I sent them. He didn't think it would be any trouble... but we will see.

I chose the XJ bumper because it follows the same profile as the front XJ bumper which is the same as the early Ranger bumper. The problem is... the XJ has a body mounted license plate. So I will have to relocate the license plate to the tire carrier after I build it. Here is the link to the one I chose. I also also asked for an additional 1/2 in length on the brackets so the center post of my tire carrier would clear the rear hatch handle and wiper arm.

That's a STEAL at that price, especially with their current discounting. Count me in and let me know how I can get in on it so they get both of ours knocked out at the same time!

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
When I purchased my B2 last year one of the issues was that the previous owner had backed in to something and the spare tire / carrier cracked the fiberglass lift gate. I got a good used lift gate and the B2 is at the body shop now to have the gate painted and installed. I tore the rear apart on it before I took it up.

Attachments