•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

WTF? how does this happen?

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed

kinda interesting.... how does this happen?

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Is that a crack on the rotor? and dude, where'd your brake pad go:icon_confused:

Last edited:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Is that a crack on the rotor? and dude, where'd your brake pad go:icon_confused:
no crack. but the pad dissapeared! like just straight up gone.

was driving then all of a sudden had ZERO brakes. then it came back a bit but felt goofy, parked it and found that! insane!

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No idea how it happened, but I think your pretty lucky nothing serious happened without brakes!

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
GREMLINS.....had to deal with em in Viet Nam War....they were as much of a pain as the Viet Cong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Word is........they got into the Toyota manufacturing facilities too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(I think BP had em....but BP Upper Management was doing such a good job of ****ing things up, that Lucifer transfered the Gremlins to Toyota...)

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Vehicle
Ford
Someone didn't assemble things right, that's the only thing I know for sure.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Psh... no one needs pads anyways... just run the piston straight on the rotor. Works like a champion.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
the only thing ive seen close to this was my old audi 100 i had, on one of the rear brakes the pad was put in with the pad material on the caliper, and the METAL backing grinding on the rotor. It eventually welded the pad to the rotor itself, and the center hub portion broke from the disc. So when you drove the car, the rotor was stationary, lmao.

Last edited:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Someone didn't assemble things right, that's the only thing I know for sure.
think again tho, i did the brakes last, and i did them correctly. tho something could have changed over the last two years.

step two of the WTF, i installed new pads and rotors last nite. then today on my lunch break (now) i heard a tick tick tick from the front left.

come to find out, the small metal retainer clip that holds the outside pad on, it was bent out already and rubbing with my wheel!!! hell i didn't go anywhere but checkers then napa today.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
the brake pad material is usually about 3/8" thick or thicker....maybe you got brake pads/and/or/rotors that were defective & too thin to start with.....or........Gremlins.....

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I had the same thing on my 94 Ex Sport. The pads were on for literally 3 months before the backing on the pad disintegrated (The part that clips on the front of the Caliper). This allowed the pad to "Walk" around in the Caliper -only being secured by the bevels on the pad backing...

Needless to say Advanced Auto wouldn't honor there "Limited Lifetime" Warrantee...

Also had the same thing with Autozone cheapies..

Baer brakes only from here on out.

Loud Ranger

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the pad came loose on my bronco before, got wedged in something on its way out and shredded the tire.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Vehicle
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Actually I had that happen last week on a Brand new installation of rotors pads and a rebuilt caliper on my new explorer.

I drove it 50 feet from the mechanic and I heard a Thunk and brakes felt weird took it right back. It had folded over the spring retainer and the pad was half out of the caliper.

No idea how it happened. I can only guess that the pads bottom tab was not lined up correctly with the slot and the first time I used the brakes to stop it popped out.

bit of silicone on the offending pad since the retaining spring clip was toast and she was good to go. Pounded that side down a potholed dirt road to see if it would pop lose. and it hasn't yet.

So if you had OLD slider pins the caliper can be rocked back and forth and the pad can be worked lose.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Actually I had that happen last week on a Brand new installation of rotors pads and a rebuilt caliper on my new explorer.

I drove it 50 feet from the mechanic and I heard a Thunk and brakes felt weird took it right back. It had folded over the spring retainer and the pad was half out of the caliper.

No idea how it happened. I can only guess that the pads bottom tab was not lined up correctly with the slot and the first time I used the brakes to stop it popped out.

bit of silicone on the offending pad since the retaining spring clip was toast and she was good to go. Pounded that side down a potholed dirt road to see if it would pop lose. and it hasn't yet.

So if you had OLD slider pins the caliper can be rocked back and forth and the pad can be worked lose.
well i lost another one! this time i was in 4x4 going through a pond that i usual hit during the muddy season. came out and the brakes felt wierd. looked down, and sure thing, same pad same side. its gone!

my slider pins are orig. but they fit very snug. however, i think i might make a thin metal "brace" to keep the retaining clips from folding. i just don't understand what changed these last few days, my truck has been in a bunch of water and mud. never had a problem. then two pads in three days?

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
doorgunner has it nail. its freakin gremlins!!!!! shes rob, dont go fallin out the truck now cause its lookin like your headed that way lol.

i think those pads need a little tack to the caliper, that will keep it there lol

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
doorgunner has it nail. its freakin gremlins!!!!! shes rob, dont go fallin out the truck now cause its lookin like your headed that way lol.

i think those pads need a little tack to the caliper, that will keep it there lol
ya i think that is gonna be needed. i'm trying not to weld it solid. thinking of adding some tacks on the little humps!

might make a little brace to keep the retainers from bending as well.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Well I think its time to swap your spindles-hubs to the '97 2piston calaper and dich the clips all togather.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Well I think its time to swap your spindles-hubs to the '97 2piston calaper and dich the clips all togather.
i like the thought, i'll do some more research on this now. i'm about to drop the hammer on 100 bones for new rotors and pads. AGAIN. maybe i can do this 2 piston caliper setup instead

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ahh i understand now! but sadly, i'm still on the danna crappy.

there was a guy in flagstaff that was parting out a explorer. if he still has it, and everything looks in good shape, i'll offer him 100 bucks for it, driveshaft and all, and swap the SOB in. then worry about upgrading to the 2 piston calipers next month