•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Yet another Bronco II sputter discussion

wbogdanb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hello, I am a new member and am currently trying to diagnose and repair a sputtering / dying issue with an '86 B2 I just bought. I'm no stranger to this issue as I have solved it on 2 other B2's that I own/owned (one is now sold) but this one is a little strange to me. I bought it from a guy who's complaint was that he had the transmission rebuilt and ever since then it was sputtering and dying so right off the bat I figured it was the 02 sensor ground or the ground that bolts to the bellhousing with the dipstick tube. Well, those grounds were intact so I cleaned and bolted them back up. I then threw a genuine motorcraft TFI on it (had a standard motor products one on that looked a little old so I figured that may be the issue. The issue still persists. And yes, I have confirmed it is a spark issue and not a fuel at this point. I figured the PIP was bad so I threw a new Spectra distributor in it, still happening. I then decided to start poking at wiring and relays. Found that the ECM relay had 2 broken wires, confirming with a test light one was intact a ground and the other was a power AND THEY WERE IN CONTACT OF EACHOTHER, I had a spare harness laying around that was removed from my other 86 in which I am in the process of doing a 4.0 swap, so I cut the connector off that harness and cut this harness back and spliced it in... boom, she ran amazing for a few days then my girlfriend had a complaint about it completely falling on its face just before the 1-2 shift but no sputtering so that led me to believe a fuel issue was occurring. Long story short, booster pump in the tank was bad and not working at all, replaced it and had great fuel pressure. Fired it up 2 days later and was sputtering again... sh**! Same problem as before, sputtering then eventually will stall and will restart if I turn the key off then on again. I put the old distributor back in, drove great for about 20 minutes then sputtering again. Now here's where my questions begin, I went to autozone and bought an Innova OBD 1 scanner. I am getting codes: 10(??), 18 (loss of tachometer input/IDM circuit failure/SPOUT circuit grounded), 23 (throttle position sensor out of range). Is anybody able to tell me what the heck I should look at next, anybody know the resistance values for the PIP, TFI, etc and where to put the test leads to test those values? It does have a new coil as well.