•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 BII fuel leak

PitmanBT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hi, i just got my 88 and i noticed a strong gasoline smell. after work my boss allowed me to pull it up over the pit. I found the leak and i am unsure of what it is, its coming out of a black cup mounted on the frame. any advice?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I think that was some sort of fuel filter that was on the newer bronco 2's in the fuel injected models. I think you could just put in a universal fuel filter with hose clamps and bypass that system if you wish.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
86 was the only year that had an actual filter in there. It does however contain the anti-drain back valve for the fuel supply line and a small reservoir for when the high pressure pump picks up faster than the tank pump.

The big problem is that I have had problems finding them in the last year or so. I think NAPA still carries them though.

PitmanBT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks guys, im gonna run by napa. and i should ask for an anti drain back valve?

wadus

Reaction score
I took that canister off on my 88 and it wouldn't seal back up. I couldn't find a o-ring that would fit(the one that comes with the fuel filter is too small.) So I just bought some fuel resist RTV sealant and coated the threads and put it back on and then put more on the outside. That's been a few months back and it's still leak free.
Also the canister filter made to go in there wont fit in mine, so the only filter is the one on the frame rail under the hood.

Last edited:

PitmanBT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
got mine at napa and didnt come with the o ring, gonna try some rtv and sii how that goes.