•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Recent content by Elutheros

1. Elutheros

How can I keep my 2.9 cool?

I love the Explorer 4.0 radiator and I'm running an electric Volvo fan. The only issue that bugs me is cruising at around 70, the temp may climb up to the "o" in Norm on the guage--not all the time and not because of outside temp. I think the water pump starts to cavitate sometimes and can't...
  2. Elutheros

Drive shaft info needed.

I used the following article to build my own replacement. Works great and eliminates the CV junk. http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=926.0
  3. Elutheros

clutch upgrade?

The swap to the larger 4.0 clutch is quite simpe and there are no modifications required. You will need the complete kit---clutch, pressure plate, bearing and a flywheel from a 4.0 as well as a 4.0 starter. I can't quantify any gains from this since I went from an auto trans to the manual in my...
  4. Elutheros

auto to manual swap

Yeah, I've been through that and you have to get the earlier--88 and older pedals. You don't have to have the shaft they mount to--just the pedals. You can get them off the shaft (with some work) by removing the circlip and sliding them off towards the drivers door. Just take some pictures of...
  5. Elutheros

New To Bronco II's All Advice Welcome

I'd recommend putting the 4.0 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate in. The cost is about the same and it is much more sturdy than the 2.9 clutch. You will have to get a starter from a 91-94 Explorer--but there are lots of them in the junk yards. It is all a bolt in swap. Also, do a search for...
  6. Elutheros

OEM Bronco II Hub Lock Knobs

Full size Broncos with manual hubs use the same size knob--only black. Wrecking yards are a good option.
  7. Elutheros

Removing A4ld

I replaced my A4Ld without taking the Y pipe down. Just removed the bolts--and took the transfer case off and then wiggled the trans till it fell out. Getting the M5OD back in was not very difficult even with the Y pipe in place. Might save you some hassle to try it that way. BTW for the top...
  8. Elutheros

New BII owner, here is my laundry list of questions

Welcome to the forum--nice BII! My fix for the spare tire carrier is to take about a 4 inch long piece of the dark gray foam pipe insulation for about a 1 inch pipe and put it around the bar where it sits in the latch. Then wrap it with several wraps of plastic electrical tape. It will be a lot...
  9. Elutheros

How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 89 bronco

If you are going to do all that, you should go ahead and replace the rear main seal while you are in there. Also, the 4.0 clutch is bigger and more reliable and will fit. You'll need a 4.0 flywheel and the starter from a 4.0, but it is worth the little bit of extra work.
  10. Elutheros

1988 Bronco II fuel tank

Car Quest: pn: GST-576-101 $106.00--for my 87. Should be the same one.
  11. Elutheros

Problem Installing Transmission

I had a problem with this a while back which turned out to be a defective throwout bearing from Rock Auto. The plastic part of the TB was catching on the slave cylinder and would not allow the trans to slide forward. Wore me out for a couple days. Went right in with a different TB. Using longer...
  12. Elutheros

Need a fuel pump for an 86 B2

They are two very different pumps. The one in the tank only produces about 5 PSI to supply fuel to the main pump on the rail. If your tank has never been opened up, it may just have a lot of rust/trash floating around in it--and there is a "sock" filter on the bottom of the fuel sender unit...
  13. Elutheros

a4ld to manual swap questions

I just did this a couple months ago. Relatively easy even on the driveway. I have a set of '89 pedals and the carrier for them I bought by mistake ('87 is different) you can have for $60.00 shipped. Paid $250 for my M5OD. Used the 4.0 clutch/pressure plate/flywheel and starter. Search for posts...
  14. Elutheros

replaced fuel pump and no pressure

87 Bronco II, with new tank, intank pump, filters, and I just replaced the high pressure pump after some poor running issues and tester showed just 20 PSI. Now, I just installed the new main pump and can't get any fuel pressure at the injector rail. Pumps both run when key is turned on and when...