•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Recent content by mylittleblackbird

1. M

new B2 owner

Seats are out, carpet is out. I'm amazed that I didn't fall through the bottom when I was driving it home. The floor pan on the drivers side is rusted to hell and back. I can easily see the walnut shells perched atop the transfer case. The body mount that goes under your feet in the footwell...
  2. M

B2 cooling issues

Not that I have any experience with modified 2.9's or 2.8's, but generally speaking, as high as possible without getting detonation. I've worked with a lot of 3.8L GM's and 4.6L Fords. About the only reason anyone would go as low as 160 is because they were running so much boost/compression...
  3. M

new B2 owner

Zombie thread! So after about a year of nothing, I've finally gotten back to work on this little monster. I've managed to gut the interior in search of floor mounted ventilation holes, of which I've found a few. I need to drop the trans out of it to check out the clutch as I suspect it's...
  4. M

Gear whine in Explorer

You're going to have to get the wheels off the ground and use a stethoscope to try and pinpoint it. That may be your best chance.
  5. M

new B2 owner

The lovely mouse infested interior has been cleaned up a little. I have to remove the carpet and everything else to discern how many holes I have in the floors. There are a couple in the "bed", and around the drain plug for the rear seat, rust has become a problem. Also, at least on the...
  6. M

Help

Did it run before you did this work? If it did, then you have something not set right. Backfires indicate a firing order/timing issue or a valve sealing issue. If it ran fine before this work, that rules out the valve issue. Perhaps when you were changing the distributor out, you didn't get...
  7. M

Carb question

Glad to hear you got it fixed! Now come fix mine!
  8. M

new B2 owner

At long last. It has made the journey home. Was a little sketchy, but now I get to go through it, inside and out. I'm sure a large part of it is that it hasn't been driven for just shy of a decade. Sorry for the craptastic picture quality. I run a cheap phone with a crap camera. I will...
  9. M

Carb question

Let me preface by stating I am not a master of the carbs. I understand how they work and what it takes. To ensure proper adjustment, I have yet to learn. I rebuilt my carb for the 84 this summer and lucked out at sea level without any issues aside from the brakes being locked from sitting...
  10. M

Carb question

Make sure the choke rod is set to the high altitude setting. Also, you may need to change the location of the accelerator pump lever. I would consider that perhaps it is stumbling due to a lean condition from additional fuel not being there when the air is introduced. Just a thought. Cold...
  11. M

Un nerving noise from wife's X

Good to know. Whoever thought to do that wasn't thinking with their dipstick. Get the whole thing good and warmed up, and spin the rear wheels by hand. Wear pattern looks good, though.
  12. M

Un nerving noise from wife's X

If you suspect the transmission could be to blame, what does the fluid look/smell like?
  13. M

2.8l v6

It would be just shy of a full tear down to get to the rings. Then measuring the bore, buying the appropriate rings(and pistons if the bore is too far over for standard). Has the engine been left sitting for a long period of time? Prior to assuming it is the rings, something I've learned...
  14. M

2.8l v6

what kind of smoke? black, blue, white? Black - Rich mixture/incomplete burn/bad spark Blue - Oil. Rings/valve seals. White - Coolant. Water getting into the cylinder somehow. That is just generalized. Some engines have their quirks and do things a little outside the norm. Someone with...
  15. M

B2 Not for sale

I don't sell vehicles... ever....