•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Recent content by Shran

1. Shran

dura spark wiring

I don't remember which wires do what, been a few years since I did a Duraspark swap. Sounds like you need to look through a wiring diagram and find out what you clipped and/or unplugged. I'd start with the big round plugs on the driver's side fender, these usually contain power and grounds for...
  2. Shran

Hey its been a while!! so questions on 97 mountaineer 5.0l swap to 89 b2

SAS the Mountaineer and put a non-AWD t-case in it. The T5 is a waste of time and it's a 2wd transmission in stock form. Therefore it will not simply bolt up to your transfer case, you would need a 4x4 Jeep tailhousing and other pieces. If you are really bent and determined to do this then...
  3. Shran

A few questions about explorer leaf springs

There's also a difference between 2 door and 4 door Ex leaf springs, usually the 4 door has one more leaf and is stiffer. Any year before 01 is fine, just use your judgement at the junkyard to see how sagged out they are.
  4. Shran

'84 Bronco II reanimation thread

I think for a minimal amount of money, you could have it up and running. Probably much less than a cheap teenager vehicle. How bad does she want it? The concept of giving it to your daughter is cool and all, but I'm not sure I'd give a lifted Bronco II to a teenager as their first vehicle...
  5. Shran

towing in reverse noob question

No kidding, broken cables flying around is about the last thing I want to encounter on the trail. One thing that's been real popular lately is synthetic winch rope. Almost everyone I wheel with has it and it's totally awesome...if it breaks, it just drops to the ground.
  6. Shran

towing in reverse noob question

+2 on what Martin said. I broke a driver side u-joint pulling a guy off a stump like that. I'd only do it as a last resort.
  7. Shran

How can I keep my 2.9 cool?

I'm not guessing, I'm speaking from experience. I've done the swap three times with the same results. I had three vehicles - '86 Ranger, '87 Bronco II and '90 Bronco II. The cooling systems in all three were in good shape, no issues. The radiator swaps were done simply because it seemed like...
  8. Shran

It certainly is an issue when it's 5 degrees out, you have no defrost and you're getting 11mpg all day just because of a stupid radiator. Maybe it's a total different thing down south where it's a little warmer, but for a daily driver vehicle in cold temperatures, it's pointless. Don't fix it...
  9. Shran

This is key information here - properly designed cooling system is the important part. The 4.0 radiator swap ads a large volume of coolant, given fact. Therefore it takes longer to heat it to operating temperature. Because of this, the thermostat stays closed for longer intervals, allowing...
  10. Shran

rear spring hangers

Dear god. Someone would make a fortune selling fabricated ones at even $50-75 after seeing those. I bet LMC is about the only place that carries them too. FWIW, RockAuto has the Ranger rears for $14.22 each.
  11. Shran

front TTB D35 diff options?

Assuming two things, you are happy with the gear ratio you have now, and your 3rd member is in good shape (bearings, seals, etc) - I'd not hesitate to put an Aussie, Lock Rite, etc in there. Anything else requires you to set up your gears again, at which point you should ask yourself if what...
  12. Shran

When is it time to call it quits?

Swapping a V8 in is not going to cure your issues, in fact, you will likely have a lot of bugs to work out, especially right after you get it on the road. Anyway, I get 11-12. That is with 4.10's and 35" tires. It's fun to drive and I drive it as such. A truck that is close to factory...
  13. Shran

NO, do not do this. The factory radiator on a 2.9 is PLENTY. A 4.0 radiator is not an upgrade, you are gaining a huge amount of coolant and a 2.9 won't keep it hot enough. The coolant temp sensor will read cold all the time and your gas mileage will go straight down the shitter. Myself and...
  14. Shran

Looking for a temporary winch to use at Gulches.

DO NOT buy a winch from Harbor Freight. I have seen firsthand how bad they are! I wheeled with a guy last year who had one of the Badlands ones on his truck (brand new) and it was completely destroyed by the end of the day, had maybe 20 hard pulls on it. Everything came apart, controller...
  15. Shran

dashboard removal

Removing the dash is a total pain. Gotta do what you gotta do though. I'd rather remove the dash than pull the inner wheel wells, BTW...they're spot welded onto the cab and core support...so you have to re-weld or bolt them back on, total PITA and you end up with a bunch of holes to close up too.