•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Search results

1. B

Tires and Rims

My B2 needs new tires and I have decided to also get new rims. I plan to keep it stock. I have done research on our web site and found some rims that I think will fit so I think I am go to go. Here is the plan. Tires 235/75-15. Rim: 15X8, Bolt pattern 5X4.5, Off-set -19, Rear Spacing 3.75...
  2. B

B2 4.0L Engine Drivability Issue

I have completed the 4.0L (93 Explorer) swap into my 86 B2. All is well except for a minor drivability issue. Before the engine warmes up the engine has a pulsing or jerking feeling. As soon as the engine temp gage gets up slightly the engine smooths out. It happens every time. Any ideas as to...
  3. B

Clutch Tripple Function Switch Wiring

I have completed my 4.0L engine swap into my manual 86 B2. The engine seems to run fine even though I have not connected the tripple function switch. What is the purpose of this signal back to the EEC module? Change idle speed?
  4. B

4.0L swap - No Oil Pressure

After completing the 4.0L swap into my 86 B2 and completing the gage wiring I started the engine and did not have any oil pressure on the gage. I then put a ohm meter on the sender and it did not indicate any pressure. I then unscrewed the oil filter to see if it was filled. It was. I then...
  5. B

Exhaust System on 4.0L Swap

I am at the last phase of my 4.0L engine swap into my 86 B2. All I need to do is replace the exhaust system. I put on JBA headers and want to have an exhaust system that would be clasified as low resistance. What are your suggestions? Do they make a low resistance cat? What about the...
  6. B

4.0L Swap - Lower Rad Hose

I am completing the 4.OL swap into my 86 B2 and after I installed the radiator from the 93 explorer I noticed a very tight clearance condition between lower radiator outlet and a bracket on the frame that mounts the front strut. Not sure the hose will fit on. I was thinking of shorting up the...
  7. B

One last component for my 4.0L Swap

I need one last component for my 4.0L swap taking an 93 explorer engine and putting it in my 86 B2. I also changed the trans using a M4OD, thus the need for a longer front shaft. I calculate that I need a shaft that is 26 inches from the center of the front U joint to the center of the rear U...
  8. B

Got It Running - Sort of

Well the 4.0L is in the beloved. Wiring completed enough to run the engine, sort of. Idles for a short time. One circuit that I have not hooked up yet is the wires for the throttle sensor/O2 sensor. I am a little confused. The 4.0L runs the circuit thru both the clutch pedal position switch and...
  9. B

Much Difficulty with M50D trans

After replacing the input shaft on the M5OD trans I am having trouble getting the trans to seat to the engine bell housing. I have aligned the trans as accurately as possible but can not get it the last 3/8 inch. I can just see the flywheel through the gap from the trans to the bell housing...
  10. B

M5OD Gear Shift Issue

I have successfully install a new input shaft on the M5OD trans. I was able to remove the output bearing by adding straps to my pulley puller so that it extended to the end of the output shaft. Worked great. I have installed the M5OD trans (for an 98 Ext) into my 86 B2. I noticed that when I...
  11. B

M5OD Trans - Can't get Bearing Off

I am changing the input shaft on my M5OD trans. I was able to get the rear shaft nuts off using a pipe wrench but I can not get off the rear outter bearing. In the shop manual they call to use a special tool that fits over the output shaft and has a puller. Any suggestions?
  12. B

Speed Control on M5OD trans

I am in the process of installing a M5OD trans and am puzzled as to the speed control sensor. On the production B2 it has a speed sensor on the side of the trans (it also had a neutral switch on the top). However, on the M5OD trans it does not have a speed sensor on the trans, only a neutral...
  13. B

Tires

I am completing the 4.0L swap and need to put on new tires. The ones I have are about 20 years old. They are Goodyear wrangler with the rasied white letters. It has been sitting in the garage so the treads are ok but they are old and need to be replaced. I plan to use the stock since but...
  14. B

M5OD Input Shaft Replacement

Now that it is spring in Michigan I can get back to my 4.0L swap and installation of M5OD transmission. The one I got at the salvage yard had a dammaged input shaft. I have ordered that new shaft and seals from Southwest gear and and trying to decide weather to try and replace the input shaft...
  15. B

Reworking a M50D Trans

As part of my 4.0L swap I am changing the trans to the M50D. The used trans that I bought has a danaged input shaft so I need to change it or have a trans shop do it. I have the shop manual but I an concerned about the difficulty. It looks complicated. Here are some question to anyone that...
  16. B

Eng/Tran issue Figured Out

I am having mating the 4.0L with the manual M50D trans but I think I fugured it out. I pulled out the engine then took off the new flywheel and sled it onto the trans imput shaft. It went on OK. Then I put on the pressure plate/clutch and tried to slide it on. It would not go. I then examined...
  17. B

Engine in, Trans not

I was having trouble getting the 4.0L engine into my B2 that also contained the M50D trans. I decided to pull back the trans and seat the engine. My thinking was I could align the trans to the engine. It worked well. However, I could not get the trans fully seated to the bell housing. It is...
  18. B

4.0L Engine Going in, Maybe

I just tried to put in the 4.0L into my 86 B2. I also put in the M50D trans which is larger on the gear shift top side. I had to cut the tunnel to get the new trans in. I am having difficulty in lining up the engine and the trans. The trans shaft need to be aligned with the engine. I can not...
  19. B

Need Help on Manual Clutch Line

I am doing the 4.0L swap and swaping the M50D manual trans. The doner vehicle was a 1998 explorer with auto trans. My final issue is finding a hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the trans. I bought a line from a 1990 ranger but the connection to the trans was not correct. It looked...
  20. B

Engine Air intake System

I haven't put in ther 4.0L yet but am doing some prep work on the engine compartment. I am installing the air inlet tube and I noticed that the previous owner of the doner explorer had cut a hole in the bottom of the air cleaner and a hole in the fender apron. Obviously to allow more air into...