•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Search results

1. M

1989 bronco 2 cv shaft question

You're pushing grease out of the driveshaft when compressing? It's got WAY too much in there. I'd give the manufacturer a "WTF" call.
  2. M

Stupid CV driveshaft....

But the '86 has the same CV rear driveshaft. So does an '85 model. And nothing on an '84 has the correct length. If you want a U-joint driveshaft, your options are to have one made or modified, or to buy one aftermarket. They do exist. But if you go that route, you may have to adjust your...
  3. M

Heater core keeps stopping up......

Oooh, THAT'S a lot of work. It's hard (perhaps impossible) to yank and replace a core plug on an installed engine. Not too hard if it's on a stand, though. Some folks REALLY overuse the Barr's. I won't touch the stuff. Not after having seen a 2.9L head gasket....
  4. M

Heater core keeps stopping up......

Reverse-flush the cooling system while you're in there. Pull the heater outlet hose off the intake manifold (NOT the water pump!), cap the nipple, shove a garden hose into the heater hose, remove the rad cap, and blast away until the water runs clear. You can try one of those chemical flushes...
  5. M

Gear Oil Weight.....

I've put gaskets on both. They exist. I even found a nice reusable one for the 8.8 (but it is rather pricey). Black RTV is a LOT worse on 8.8s, where you'll crack the plastic cover trying to get that SOB off. The 7.5s will bend up, but you can flatten them. Yes, that's experience. As for...
  6. M

Gear Oil Weight.....

And you'll never remove it again.... You can use a TINY bit of black silicone, but a $5 gasket really is a whole lot better. You can get it at the dealer or a rear end shop, if your auto parts store doesn't cooperate. Use the lightest GL-5 gear oil you can get your hands on.
  7. M

bronco II cv drive shaft swap

Ranger shafts are not the same as Bronco II shafts.
  8. M

That's still going to be over $300 with tax, shipping, and core. It's VERY unlikely that a broken CV shaft is "rebuildable" because you can't get the tulips from anywhere. You can have one MADE for that, with a better design (it DOES matter for Bronco IIs because they are so dang short). You...
  9. M

Yeah, but those area all from 1984 and are either W O R N O U T or pricey (reman). And they are ALL the wrong length for an '89 (that's before the A4LD transmission). And they don't bolt to the transfer case, so the transfer case needs modification. So, some work must still be performed...
  10. M

Im lookin at a BII, what should I look for?

I don't hate you. I got my Bronco II for -$191. Yup, the owner PAID to give it to me (DMV fines for lapsed registration). But beware, there is probably a reason it's free (and a reason it was parked). Don't be too surprised if the engine is D E A D from several years of soaking in...
  11. M

Im lookin at a BII, what should I look for?

If it's fuel injected, 2.9L V6s like to crack heads. Pull the dipstick and oil cap. Mild crack = snot. Major crack = baby barf. A little snot might be due to condensation, and a good solid warm-up should clear it up. I'm not sure a rustbucket Bronco II with a blown 2.9L, POS transmission...
  12. M

Inoperative rear brakes

Well, I'm more than a bit annoyed at myself for not noticing this A LOT earlier, but I don't have functional rear brakes in the '91 Exploder. In fact, I suspect they have been inoperative at least since I bought the vehicle over 3 years ago. The parking brake works just fine; I insist it...