•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Search results

1. T

5 sp shifter play

Ok, since I got my explorer's trans swap done, the 5 sp shifter has a lot of play in it. Like 1-2 inches, making it very hard for me to get into reverse without grinding gears.. Does this mean the trans is bad? What would I need to do to fix this?
  2. T

Water pump vs head gasket

Ok, so I've been checking my exploder for water leaks, as I am losing water now. I don't have that chocolatey colored oil that is common in head gasket leaks, and I'm not blowin smoke out the tailpipe. However, I am having to fill my radiator a minimum of every 2-3 weeks with coolant/water. Its...
  3. T

rear hatch panels

In my 94 EX the rear hatch panel is gone. I have tried at least twice at a junkyard to get one but have failed both times. They always crack. Does anyone here know of any tricks to get that panel out without damage? Is there some kind of tool available??
  4. T

EX auto tranny to manual swap

Am intending to do a swap to a 5 speed, and want to know if any 1st gen tranny will work. I saw somewhere that only the 93-94 work for 94's. Also, what parts do I HAVE to have NEW for this swap? I know that the clutch master and slave cylinders need to be new... How long has it taken any of...
  5. T

pics of ignition lock cylinder pin

Does anyone who has a 1st gen explorer have any good pics of the ignition lock cylinder pin? I cannot find it and need to replace the cylinder in the '94 xlt that I just bought.
  6. T

Tires/lifting

After I take care of the front suspension issues that I have with my xploder, I wanna lift and get 32" tires. What is the best way to lift this suv and how do I go about finding about bigger tires? I want I think at least 32's...
  7. T

Front suspension

Ok, so I need new ball joints, coil spring insulators. MOST likely I need to replace tie rod ends, u joints, wheel bearings(races). Ok, my most pressing question is how to install coil spring insulators? I looked at the tech library and didn't really find anything relative to this. Since I will...
  8. T

Two issues on one thread lol

First issue: RUST! YES, RUST! On the rear 'side panels', whatever the heck they're called. AND, yes, I said AND, rust on the tops of the rear wheels wells. What is the best way around this? This rust is eating away at the back end of my Ex. PIX: LEFT SIDE: Right side is starting to rust out...
  9. T

Ball joints

I had taken in my Ex the other day to have the scrunching noise inspected, for the THIRD time. YES, my coil spring isolators need replacing.....like they told me LAST year. Anyways, the right side of my ex needs both upper and lower ball joints. How much of a job is it to DIY this? The shop...
  10. T

EX dash gauge for battery issue

I've had this problem for quite some time now. I thought I had it figured out when I realized my wiring harness for the left side of the cluster was backwards, but its not the entire case. Every time I push the power window switches, it does not matter which one, the battery gauge goes up and...
  11. T

Temp guage not reading right

So for awhile now, my temp gauge hasn't been working right. It will read normal when its warmed up, and other times it won't read beyond the C even though I KNOW its warmed up. Would this be a coolant temp sending unit or sensor? Or would it be a faulty gauge or what???
  12. T

What to do with aging explorer

Ok, so I haven't been over here very much. I've asked a few questions here and there. I love this forum. It's fantastic. Now, I must ask a few more questions regarding my aging explorer. Its a '91 5 speed with most likely over 220K miles on the original engine. I now have some exhaust issues...
  13. T

Steering column removal

So, with the assistance of several members here, we think we have narrowed the steering problem in my Explorer to the steering column. Next step: removal. I have never taken a steering column out before. Anyone here taken one out? Tips/steps would help thanks.
  14. T

spark plug now seized in head

I went to pull out the 3rd passenger side spark plug, ya, the one that's near impossible to get to even with swivels, managed to bust the ceramic off. Now what, how am I gonna get that out? Am I screwed, will I have to pull that head off or is there a way to get it out without taking it to the...
  15. T

parking brake switch

Am replacing the parking brake switch on my 1991 X. Cannot remember how it came off, so cannot get it back on lol. Anyone have a picture of it on their truck?
  16. T

'91 Explorer 4.0L to 5.0L SWAP

I am coming over here to ask if anyone has done an explorer 4.0 to 5.0 engine/tranny swap? I have been over to explorerforums.com and not getting too much help. Will an F150 5.0, 4x4 and FIVE SPEED manual transmission fit my 1991 Explorer 4x4, 5 speed transmission? If so, would I need any...
  17. T

Shifter lever bolt stuck on 91 X

I am trying to replace my shifter lever on my 5 speed 1991 Explorer, the bolt is stuck right in the middle. No amount of umph has been able to get it all the way off. Any ideas?:dunno: