•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1984 Bronco 31" Tires rubbing, What size lift? 2" or 2.5"

johnnybronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hello,

I just put 31" Tires and they are rubbing in front for sharp turns. Will size lift do you recommend? 2" or 2.5"
And will these cheap $100 83-97 Bronco II Ranger 4WD Full Leveling Lift Kits work? link
bit.ly/3P0HK9v

I attached pics of kit and my Bronco II
Tires are LIONHART Lionclaw ATX2 31x10.50R15LT

Also with a 2-2.5" lift will the upper control arms be okay, or need modification? What other issues might I run into? I've heard issues about the 4wd shifter being to short to engage.
Love the look of 31" Tires, but don't want to run into any major problems. I could always put the 235/75/15's back on.

Thanks in Advance, I really appriciate it

Attachments

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd

Here is a link to a tire fitment guide.
Transfer case shifter can be an issue but only with a body lift and it can be overcome. A 3” body lift will get you high enough for the 31s but the 2” leveling kit will not. The first gens have such a small wheel opening.

Bronco II does not have upper control arms. It has TTB suspension. Lifts on these type suspensions greatly changes steering geometry, camber, caster and can be very complex to correct. You will require an alignment if you use a suspension lift.
The 235s are the biggest you can use without a lift.
IMO I would recommend a 3” body lift. Less weight change for center of gravity. It keeps all your suspension and steering geometry at factory spec. Often overlooked is the bumpers on a body lifted truck. They stay with the frame and IMO look like crap. I’ve yet to find any replacement brackets that move the bumpers up with the body. I made my own. I have an 85 with 2” body lift and an 89 with 3”. Both have custom mounts to raised the bumpers to body.
Nice Bronco

Last edited:

johnnybronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thanks for your response tw205
What 3" body lift would you recommend? and about how many hours labor to install?

I appriciate it
Johnny

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
For example this one is $152 and says 5-6 Hours to Install
They are all about the same. 5 to 6 hours with all the proper tools and facilities.plan on a full day if you’re experienced, two if you’re not. Level of rust is a factor. Your rig looks in good shape so rust may not be an issue for you. Do some research before you dig in. Start spaying penetrated oil on the hardware days before you start. There are a few thing you need to do before you start jacking up the body. If I recall the instructions do say things to look for. When you’re ready you can always hit us up back here or at TheRangerStation and any of a variety of good knowledgeable people will help.

johnnybronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thanks Again tw205, Could you please post a pic of your 89 with 3” lift to see how it looks?
Nice to have a forum that specializes in Bronco 2's. This is my first one, had many 60's, 70s, and 80's Full Size Broncos years ago, before they were expensive.

I Have an experienced mechanic friend who’s done many lift jobs. He is just not familiar with the Bronco 2. His concern with the 3” lift is the Drive shaft, and steering box to Link for front suspension steering. Also possibly the four-wheel-drive shifter lever being too short. Was thinking of ordering the 3 inch Body lift, and installing next week. Just want to be prepared if I need any extra parts and no unexpected surprises. Anyone else with a 3" lift and 31's please reply with pics or suggestions.

Thanks
Johnny

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks Again tw205, Could you please post a pic of your 89 with 3” lift to see how it looks?
Nice to have a forum that specializes in Bronco 2's. This is my first one, had many 60's, 70s, and 80's Full Size Broncos years ago, before they were expensive.

I Have an experienced mechanic friend who’s done many lift jobs. He is just not familiar with the Bronco 2. His concern with the 3” lift is the Drive shaft, and steering box to Link for front suspension steering. Also possibly the four-wheel-drive shifter lever being too short. Was thinking of ordering the 3 inch Body lift, and installing next week. Just want to be prepared if I need any extra parts and no unexpected surprises. Anyone else with a 3" lift and 31's please reply with pics or suggestions.

Thanks
Johnny
My 89 has 3” body lift. This type lift raises the body higher above the frame. All steering, alignment and drive shaft angles are never touched and no changes are needed. It the same as before it was lifted. The engine and drive train all stays with the frame. Shifters for the transmission and transfer case also stay with the frame. The transfer shifter diameter is the biggest trouble. Where it normally comes through the floor is say 1/2 diameter. As it moves further from the floor (body) it changes to a spot on the shifter that is say 1” diameter. Things rub and stop but a Dremel tool and a cut off disk can trim what’s in the way.
My 89 has a custom front bumper but the rear is stock with custom 3” lift brackets. The front fenders have a small trim at the rear of the tire only as I was trying to fit 33x12.50s. The tires on it are 31x10.50x15 same as yours. But keep in mind 89 is second generation and the front fenders and bumper are different than yours.
E2EFF9D4-1217-4849-BAC9-B53378FCE8EA.jpeg
99D19F7D-3CD8-48FD-95D1-198FEFCE53AE.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I forgot to add that the body lift will include a spacer bar to lengthen the steering shaft between the steering wheel and steering box.
When you buy the lift make sure it is include. This link has the spacer in it. Just above the red locktight

Also a little cheaper than the one you displayed.

Last edited:

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd