•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 Bronco II Power Steering Issues

oldford4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 1986 BII with a 2in body lift and stock (old) suspension. The steering is acting up after going through a turn in either direction. While traveling straight down a road, even encountering unlevel pavement it's okay. However, if you turn the wheel while rolling around a corner or moderate curve the steering will not recenter and you must almost manually crank the wheel back, and then there is a residual pressure in the wheel to the previous direction of the turn. A jerk of the wheel in the opposite direction or time (200+ yds @45mph) will cause the wheel to recenter quickly (snap back), requiring a lot of driver input. I have already attempted to fix/diagnose the issue with a check of inner/outer tie rods and upper/lower ball joint play (no issues). I have replaced the drag link and had the vehicle realigned (didn't help). Removed the Rancho RS5000 stabilizer to ensure it wasn't somehow sticking. I tried draining and filling the P/S with new fluid. There are no leaks whatsoever, no abnormal sounds. Small inputs to the wheel while traveleing straight still give movement of the front wheels (steering feels tight when traveling straight, turning is where it gets scary). I am wondering if it could be in the pump (surging pressure) of gearbox (sticking valve). A hose collapsing under pressure (P/S return) or possibly worn radius arm bushings/axle pivot bushings. The shop manual troubleshooting recommends a pressure/flow analysis using a power steering analyzer (not available to me and I'm trying to fix this myself). I have never felt a symptom like this in any vehicle before and don't want to just start throwing parts at it. I am suspecting the steering box most. Suggestions, personal experiences from reliable sources appreciated.

oldford4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Updatded Info:

New innner and outer wheel bearings
checked 4wd hubs- ok
rag joint- ok

Still same issue as above