•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 ford bronco II 2.9 running rich

fink000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
new poster here, but long time lurker. I have checked the forum for the question I am about to ask you and hove not seen anything with the exact same issues. I have a 2.9 that runs but it runs really rich. When i get on the gas it seems to run fine, but when i let off or try to maintain it bogs down and bucks. I have replaced the distributor and the ignition control module. When I first got the truck it sat for some time. It had a no start issue which ended up being the PIP sensor was bad. I Have also replaced the map sensor. This is an off road truck so the exhaust is cut off at the convertors. When I let off the gas there is sometimes a flame that comes out of the exhaust because it is running so rich. I have been told it might be the fuel pressure regulator. I was just wondering your guys opinion. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

G-Dirty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Could you have a stuck fuel injector? Pull all the plugs and crank it. There shouldn't be much fuel that puffs out of the spark plug holes. When I had a stuck fuel injector, it was obvious that one cylinder was getting way more gas than the rest. Replaced the fuel injectors and it ran a whole lot better.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd guess like G-Dirty said either a fuel injector or the fuel pressure regulator.

I recently picked up an 88 B2 and it was dumping fuel into the cylinders due to a hole in the fuel pressure regulator. It would smoke really bad on startup it doesn't do that anymore. Also it was somewhat difficult to start after it had been running for a while due to the fuel being dumped into the cylinders which actually was bad enough to cause one of the cylinders to stop firing.