•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 Bronco II clutch issue

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I am having an issue with my clutch on my 1988 Bronco II. At times the pedal rises but no resistance goes straight to the floor. It will come back up. During this I cannot shift into any gears. If I let the Bronco run and warm up sometimes the pressure will resume and then I can shift gears. Yesterday I warmed the Bronco up and tried to engage the clutch and the pressure never resumed. How ever I checked the Bronco again several hours later the clutch pressure was back enough to shift gears. I have no fluid loss. Any ideas what would cause the intermediate clutch pressure loss. I am concerned?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I would be suspect of the slave cylinder. I had one act similar and eventually it froze on the shaft.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I've never had it happen with a clutch... but I've had similar in the brake system.

Brakes will work fine... next application it goes to the floor. Next one they're back to the top. It's always the fault of the master cylinder.

I would suspect it would be the same issue with the clutch master/place cylinder.

Cway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I am having an issue with my clutch on my 1988 Bronco II. At times the pedal rises but no resistance goes straight to the floor. It will come back up. During this I cannot shift into any gears. If I let the Bronco run and warm up sometimes the pressure will resume and then I can shift gears. Yesterday I warmed the Bronco up and tried to engage the clutch and the pressure never resumed. How ever I checked the Bronco again several hours later the clutch pressure was back enough to shift gears. I have no fluid loss. Any ideas what would cause the intermediate clutch pressure loss. I am concerned?
I saw a similar post from someone else, so i'll paste my reply to them here because it applies to your issue as well.

This happened to me in my 89 b2. My clutch was useless and went to the floor with no resistance. Could move through the gears, but my clutch was useless.

Took it to the shop and it was my slave cylinder. It's inside the bell housing, and integral with the throwout bearing. Since they had to halfway drop the transmission to access it, I had them replace the slave cylinder, throwout bearing, and clutch plate (plate was not necessary, just preventative since they were already in there). Cost me 700 dollars all together, but it fixed the issue.