•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 B2 302 swap

Kennyb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soon will be a 302
Hey guys I have a 1990 B2 2.9 manual tranny,that I am doing a conversion on. I am going to use a 302 out of a 89 F150. I need to know if I can swap the bell housing out with a 89 tranny to get this baby to connect up, or will I have to swap tranny and transfer case out too?

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Your going to have to swap trans and transfer case too.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I think the tranny in your bronco should be a fm146 or something like that and it only bolts up to a 4.0 or a 2.9 but cant handle 4.0 power.

I think the common manuel trans to use is one from a 4.2 f150 4wd.

Kennyb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soon will be a 302
Thanks Jsommers for the info. This is my first swap on a B2 so I am just cutting my teeth on it. The 2.9 thats in it has had 3 heads on it, so I am getting away from that POS mistake Ford designed. I got a lengthy road ahead before I get through with this swap, so I am sure I will have more ? Before I am done. :icon_confused:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
4.0 from a 91 or so exploder. Bolt in swap. Swap underhood wiring harness. 2.9 fuel lines should snap on 4.0 fuel rail. Will bolt up to your trans and y pipe. Trans may not take the power of the 4.0. Still smogg legal in what ever area you live in. I think at least. 4.0 rad will bolt up to b2 core suport. Exploders of that age are way cheep. Swap is way easyer. Less time. I can go on and on. But I would do a 4.0 swap

Kennyb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soon will be a 302
Thanks for the advise. I have already bought the 5.0 and like the options that I can have as far as horsepower goes that the 302 offers. I know that there is more money involved in this route. Here in Bama there not strict on the EPA standards for smog control. Heck we have folks driving cars here that look like four wheeled fog machines. But anyway the 5.0 to me will have the power that I am looking for.

Kennyb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soon will be a 302
Got another question. The 5.0 out of the 1989 F150, did it come stock with the gt40 heads? I haven't pulled the engine down yet to get the casting numbers off the heads yet, does anyone know the casting numbers for the GT40 heads?

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
Got another question. The 5.0 out of the 1989 F150, did it come stock with the gt40 heads? I haven't pulled the engine down yet to get the casting numbers off the heads yet, does anyone know the casting numbers for the GT40 heads?
No. Gt40 heads came on the 5.0 in the Cobra and the Explorer.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 2.9 thats in it has had 3 heads on it, so I am getting away from that POS mistake Ford designed.
My B2 has a 2.9 with over 250k on it, never been rebuilt. Starts with the first turn of the key, every time. Runs and drives like a top. Gets better gas mileage with 6" of lift and 33s with 3.73s than my stock nissan pathfinder. The 2.9 isn't a POS, or a mistake.

That being said, I'm doing research to put a 302 into my truck too sometime in the near future (if my engine will ever die...!). Good luck with it, keep us posted! :icon_cheers:

Kennyb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soon will be a 302
Curtis I wasn't trying to offend anybody by saying the 2.9 was a POS. But my experience with this one has been costly and aggravating. I do know that the design of the heads IMO was piss poor. As far as the rest of the engine I have no complaints, it hasn't given me one problem. I will keep an update on the swap and good luck with your swap as well. And BTW if you decide not to swap your 2.9 and your current one gives out. I have one for sale it has only around 20,000 miles on it since I rebuilt it. It only needs a head:icon_rofl: