•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.3 into a BII.. Am I crazy?

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Well, all I know is what I read from Ford. I'll do some homework and let you all know what I find out.

I DO know one thing though, and that is this 2.3 is an impressive little engine.

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Okay guys, here's what I've found. I may be partially right and mostly wrong.. kind of confusing even from Ford. There are a few folks out there that have indicated that the bellhousing is indeed different. I can't disprove it, so I'll speak to the Ford mechanics directly. The info is thus, and looks like in 2004 Ford began using the Mazda designed MZR, but it also goes on to say that the DOHC engine was manufactured beginning in 2001 and that ALL Ford's DOHCs are labeled Duratec..

Now there are engines of all sizes called Duratec. In North America, Ford uses the Duratec name on all its dual overhead cam 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Duratec MZR Family
1.6 L (97.51 CID; 1598 cc)
1.8 L (110 CID; 1798 cc)
2.0 L (122 CID; 1999 cc)
2.3 L (138 CID; 2261 cc) 2001–present DOHC I4

Beginning in 2004, Ford dropped the old 4-cylinder Zetec engines in favor of Mazda's MZR design. Thus, 2005 and present Duratec 4-cylinder engines are Mazdas. This includes the 2.0 L Duratec 20 the 2.3 L Duratec 23 and the all new 2.5 L Duratec 25. The engine is currently built by Ford in Chihuahua, Mexico; Dearborn, Michigan; Valencia, Spain; Laguna, Philippines; and Nanjing, China.

Duratec 23

The 23NS is built in Dearborn, Michigan for the Ford Ranger and North American market Mazda B-Series. These engines are tuned for torque-bias making them suitable for light-truck use and are not equipped with VVT or VICS. Output is 143 hp (107 kW) at 5250 rpm with 154 ft·lbf (209 N·m) of torque at 3750 rpm.

23NS — RWD
2001- Ford Ranger

2001- Mazda B-Series

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Weren't the Zetec series car motors? They put them in the Focus, right? The Zetec never went in the Ranger, it was the Lima 2.3... I know the Lima was used until at least 2000, after that I don't know...
So, if I'm deciphering this correctly, in 2001 Ford dropped the Lima 2.5 in favor of the totally different MZR Duratec 2.3? I don't see why anyone should avoid it for the Mazda engine, my dad has a '88 B2000 that he sold with over 240k+ miles... Ran like a top too... Easiest 5-speed I've ever driven, I swear it's 2nd gear was like my Ranger's 1st gear, lol...

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Duratech and Lima are two completely different engines, different bore spacing and everything.

coonass_cracker

Reaction score
I don't see why anyone should avoid it for the Mazda engine
i don't have any problems with the quality or longevity of foreign engines, i stay away from them because parts are generally harder to come across and more expensive.

i deal with older vehicles that are going to need repairs no matter what they are, so i would rather have something i can maintain on the cheap.

maybe i am just a cheap bastard though.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I thought I remembered reading the BII came with the 4-banger

In my experience the 2.3 has been WAAAYY more reliable than the 2.9, I've seen one go over 300k, one go over 250k, and one at 188k, and all still running, with no major work done... Both 2.9's I've had died before 200k... Maybe I'm unlucky... I think the 300 would be real neat, but I'm looking for something that's gonna be easy to get, and no real major fab work...

I think a 2.3 will do fine in a BII... It already has 3.73's and when I do my 8.8, D35 swap I'll probably go to 4.56's run maybe 31's... So, for now it all depends on what engine I can find first and the least expensive... 4.0 or 2.3...

Maybe I could add a small turbo to the 2.3? Run maybe 5 psi? 150hp would be easy to get wouldn't it? I should stop thinking... I'm gonna get myself in trouble, lol...

I havent read this whole thing, but this caught my attention. If you go any higher than 3.73 and dont have the proper tire size to match youll be shifting all day long. 2.3l's are good and reliable but a little short on RPM and make the 5 spd tend to get old. I have whatever stock rearend comes with a '92 2.3l and the tranny is swapped froma different year (Geared slightly higher) I think '88. But even with the high gearing I shift alot.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
maybe i am just a cheap bastard though.
More than likely, haha... I understand what you mean though... Mazda is a pretty established auto company though, lol... I mean I wouldn't buy a 198-something Hyaundai... That's just asking for trouble...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I havent read this whole thing, but this caught my attention. If you go any higher than 3.73 and dont have the proper tire size to match youll be shifting all day long. 2.3l's are good and reliable but a little short on RPM and make the 5 spd tend to get old. I have whatever stock rearend comes with a '92 2.3l and the tranny is swapped froma different year (Geared slightly higher) I think '88. But even with the high gearing I shift alot.
Well, as much as I like the 2.3 Lima, I'm ditching this idea because I found a cheap, running Ex Sport I'm gonna build up instead... If I ever get the free time though, this project will definitely come back :)

broncointhemaking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 going to a 4.0 now
I havent had time to read the whole post but it sounds like you are leaning twards a 2.3 and I happened to come across an article that was for I think vortech superchargers and I believe that they have a new twin screw setup for the 2.3L. I was just puting out there for a new idea if your going to reduild the motor any way go ahead and put a little boost to it. :icon_idea::D:dunno:

coonass_cracker

Reaction score
did anyone notice there is a BII with the turbocharged 2.3 for sale right now in the classified section

FWIW

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out a way to get it back from Cali, lol... It's too far away for me though, haha...