•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 Wiring

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Need Help Wiring 92 Explorer 4.0 Into A 86 Bronco Ii. Not Getting Power To The Relays, No Fire. Help......... Thanks

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I recently put A 93 ranger 4.0 in my 86 b2 got it running transmission whined so its back apart didn't want to update my page until I could drive it.I changed the dash much nicer with tach but I was trying to keep the 86 turn and wiper controls the fuel pump relay wouldn't work no fuel pump I left the original turn wiper in the loom plugged in the original 93 switch the fuel pump works fine now only A clue but I hope it helps.

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i'm not swaping the dash. trying to keep as easy as possible. thanks though

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
a plug come unhooked, plugged it back, all relays have power, fuel pump works, power to the coil. NO DAMN SPARK!!!!!!! any ideas?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I don't blame you for keeping it simple as you can I changed the dash and put in AC took out an auto put in A manual and it was not simple I hope yours goes better but I can tell you this it will put A smile on your face when you drive the 4.0 and you won't regret.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Check to see you are getting ignition power where you should be. I did this swap also, same setup. 92 4.0 into an 86 BII. Only problem I had was forgetting to jumper the clutch switch. Fired right up after that.

If you have power to your coil, you should be getting spark. Are you positive you have power to all your relays?

Last edited:

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yeh i double checked the relays,all are working good, still no spark. it will crank but thats it. also i am only getting 0.35 volts to the crank sensor, on both wires. is this normal? how many volts should the crank sensor be getting? i tested two coils, both tested okay, strong resistance. any more ideas? thanks for all the help guys. i was about ready to say f*** it, but its almost done. and you guys are keeping me sane, lots of great ideas. keep 'em comin'.............thanks

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You sure your block is grounded good to the frame, body and battery?

How are you testing for spark? New plugs? Gaped correctly (.045 I believe) Wires are all good?

Fireing order correct? I know it will still start if the #5 and #6 wires are wrong, But idles like a bag of shit.

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
as far as i can tell the block has good grounds,(earth grounds are all conected). nuw plugs/wires. and i use a spark test light. fireing order is 0kay. thanks

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i am leaning towards fualty sensors, but i dont know where to start. is there any way to test the crank sensor itself? what other sensors should i be looking at? thanks guys.

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ok, Wires I Have Spliced:(starter- Red/blue-pink Run To "s" Terminal, Wire From "i" Terminal To Starter, Red/green In Both Harness, Grounds, Fuel Pump And Inertia Switch). Am I Missing Any? Also Does The Tach Have To Be Hooked Up For The 4.0 To Run? I Havent Hooked Up The Oil Pressure Or The Temp Guages Yet, Trying To Get It To Run First. Thanks For Any Help.