•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4 Wheel drive don't work

B89Ronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have an 1989 B II and the 4x4 quit working, the front shaft still spins but the 4x4 doesn't work. It has lock out hubs and the good ole fashioned floor shifter.. Any ideas where to start? I know my transfer case is working right and its full of fluid.. possibly bad shift linkage? Maybe it's not shifting all the way after the lift? maybe the hubs took a crap? Let me know!

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sounds like hubs are the problem. With the hubs engaged and the case in 4x4 try to spin each of the axle shafts. One should spin, likely meaning a bad hub.

B89Ronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Thanks for the tip that's what I need! I will try it and let you know what happens.

phatdaddy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Vehicle
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
460/ 2.9
my hubs went out from leaving them locked even when i was done wheeling . so make sure they are unlocked when your done . a good way to test the hubs is to lock them in and put the truck in low range and turn the wheels all the way one way and push the gas if you do this in a parking lot it will jump up and down and the tires will sound like they are trying to dig

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Or..you could jack the front end up and rotate the tire by hand with the hubs locked, and see if the shaft turns. Smaller possibility of breakage that way.
:icon_thumby:

phatdaddy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Vehicle
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
460/ 2.9
Or..you could jack the front end up and rotate the tire by hand with the hubs locked, and see if the shaft turns. Smaller possibility of breakage that way.
:icon_thumby:
if it breaks it needed to be upgraded anyway and it really should not break unless it is a bad part :D
but as always i respect what the great BlackBII tells us ....he might be right:icon_thumby: