•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4x4 issues

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 1988 BR2 4x4 is not working at all where is a good starting pint for diagnosis?? Lights on the upper console do not come on.

PanamaExpat

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Best place to start looking.... The TECH INFO section of this very website. You can diagnose just about any problem with your 4X4 there as the guides are very well written and concise.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/transfercasetroubleshooting.shtml

TheRangerStation and BroncoIICorral are one in the same. Don't forget to look in both places. Welcome to TRS we are all family here.

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I did the self test on the module the LED flashed four times but there was a rattling inside the module as I moved it around so I opened the case and found a piece just floating around its a red circle with to leads that should be soldered in so is my module any good with that floating around in it???

PanamaExpat

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
That part is a thermistor I believe. If you can solder put it back on and test the board.
Here is a pic of where it goes. I am not sure as I don't have an actual schematic of the board but that part should go high resistance if the motor sticks in a run position and shut down the voltage to it. Or at least that's what I presume it is there for.

If you have to head to a junk yard for one keep me in mind as mine is bad too. I think it is the 4019 and/or gate that reads the location info off the wheel on the TC motor then feeds the info to the microprocessor.

So if you find a couple of them cheap maybe I could get you to box one up and send it this way.

Last edited:

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have found a spare module I'm goin to pick up only one I have found and its only 40 bucks but I'm going to try soldering mine and hope for the best. I'm in Canada so I don't know how bad you want that module

PanamaExpat

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Yeah. I don't know what shipping to Florida in the USA would be for you from Canada. Then the additional shipping here to Panama. Shipping was the biggest expense I had when I restored my truck. Many times it cost more to ship the part than I paid for it. But do keep me informed on how you make out. I'll help you with whatever I can.