•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4x4 locked?

acelcobra

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Not sure what's up, but I pulled a guy out of a snowy ditch a couple hours ago and could not get my 4x4 light to go off afterwards except "N". Obviously that doesn't do me any good 'cause I can't go anywhere with the t-case in neutral. The "action" of the 4x shifter doesn't feel right either. It should be in 2wd, 'cause it doesn't go any further forward. However, it feels kinda soft, it doesn't set into place. Also, the t-case goes into neutral where the 4HI should be, and the light stays on along the whole 4HI to 4LO throw (including "N"), and it's very difficult to get the lever into the lockout position of 4LO. So I drove home with the 4x light on and the lever all the way forward. I'm wondering if the linkage is bent, but I'll have to check it out in the morning.
Any thoughts?
Thanx in advance
Ace2

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
it sounds like ethe the linkage being messed up, or the small rubber pad that the shift lever sits on is crumbled. mine does this cause the small rubber pad. and the body lift doesnt help. i ushaly just get out and pry the linkage up from over the fraim rail. and it comes out of 4x4.

acelcobra

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
4x4 not stuck no more

Found out it was the cam plates on the 4x shift lever....needed adjustment. Simple fix. Good to go.