•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

'84 Lift gate question

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Hi all,
I am in the middle of getting my BII restoration completed. I have recently looked into my lift gate only to discover no locking function to the handle. In fact no key lock any where in the gate at all. I need help here. How the heck did Ford lock these things? It's a 1984. Can I get a locking handle for this? All info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hawkeye :icon_thumby:

Boggin

Reaction score
in my 1989 there is a lock just like the door lock right in the middle on the inside thats all i can help you with
oh and BTW, is your username referring to the Polaris Hawkeye? i had one and it spent more time in the garage then i rode it, had to get rid of it ahah

oh and mine doesnt have a key either

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
When I bought my 84 there was no handle at all, just a hole, so I bought a handle with a lock in the middle from the rv section of canadian tire.
some fabrication was necessary to make it work with the latch mechanism.

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Wow. It looks like I'm in for some fun then. This one has no key cylinder any where.
My User name is for the fact that I am a total fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes and have been nicked that name here in 'Vegas for years. Grew up in Iowa City the home of the Hawks. So, happens I liked Hawkeye from M*A*S*H as well.

Boggin

Reaction score
Wow. It looks like I'm in for some fun then. This one has no key cylinder any where.
My User name is for the fact that I am a total fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes and have been nicked that name here in 'Vegas for years. Grew up in Iowa City the home of the Hawks. So, happens I liked Hawkeye from M*A*S*H as well.
ah nice lol

5.0B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Mine had the key in the handle(hinged rear glass/no rear window defroster). I've seen later models with the key cylinder below the handle. I removed mine and glassed it shut. I used a lock/unlock unit from an EB and added an inside latch. Don't have pictures, but maybe this will give you an idea or two.

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Thanks for the info and the ideas. I'm heading to the bone yards Wed. I hope I find something, or perhaps full size Broncos have something? Any ideas on that?

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
My 84 has a cylinder like the one in the door just below the handle. BTW I havent got my hatch to work correctly in 6 yrs. Not that I have tried that hard.

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Well I made it to the Bone yards and no '84 models there at this time.
I found a '88 that had the key laying inside the truck and the gate in good shape so I got the entire setup minus the power lock portion. I want to stay manual. So now I get it all home and the lock cylinder is not wanting to work with the key, but... after some TLC I have got it working.
Now I hope I can figure out how to install it all into my gate.
Thanks for all the input, and any tips for my install are greatly appreciated.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
BTW here is what I have learned from my searching for info so far.
The key lock handle was '84 model only. It had to be opened with the key inserted, otherwise was locked. '85 to '90 had the lock cylinder in the gate just below the handle, and a different handle was used. It appears someone has installed a later year handle on mine prior to my ownership.
If I can't get the handle/cylinder lock assembly to install then the other alternative would be to install a later year gate.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
My 84 has a cylinder like the one in the door just below the handle. BTW I havent got my hatch to work correctly in 6 yrs. Not that I have tried that hard.
My 84 has the key cylinder in the handle...lol...couldn't Ford have just used ONE design for these things?

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Fixed

Well I got it done. I got a lock set with keys at Autozone for under 12 bucks.
Made a hole for that in the gate like the 85+ year models. Found that the 88' latch assembly had a hole in it that matches the 84' hole for the rod that operates the window hatch. Mounted that with just a bit of enlargeing the hole. did some creative carving with the Dremel and mounted the 88' latch assembly. Drilled and fit the inside lock rod so it can be locked/unlocked from the inside. Created a metal plate, and dremeled the inside of the gate to recess it, behind the lock cylinder to keep it from rotating in it's mount.
With all of this done , it looks very near OEM. I am trying to post pics that I have but I need to resize then post. I'll have them up here soon.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
You went through as least as much work as I did, probably more than me :) I kept my '84 hardware. But yours looks great. Now all you have to do is fix the cracks on the outside and repaint :) really, good job.

Yumadavis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
MIne was/is just a hole .... I looped up two zip ties, attached and ya just have to poke yur finger in there and pull to open either.... lol

ANd it runs! For the first time in 6 months. Finally finished the Duraspark, soaked and cleaned the stock feedback carb and surprised that it runs even half a##ed. Just can't quite afford an older 2150/2100 carb yet.