•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 B2 Lift Options

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Workin hard or hardly workin
Hey y'all I just picked up an 87' B2 off the old facebook marketplace. I am trying to fit BFG KO2 32"s on 15s. My bronc is RWD and the Rough Country 4" shows that it is only compatible with 4WD. Can I absolutely not use this lift kit? Same with Rancho and a few other brands, does anyone have experience with lifting the RWDs? Look I get that there is not a demand for the RWDs since its not going to preform like 4x4 offroad but I need to lift it somehow. Duff is too expensive for the amount of $ that I want to put into this build. Saw somebody talking about a 3" body lift, would that be my best bet or what? with only 3 inches I figure I will have to trim the front fender.

Second question, does anyone have a spacer/adapter brand recommendation, the wheels/tires I bought have a 5x5 lug and my B2 is 5x4.5.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg

Last edited:

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Have you looked through this
I’m not familiar with the 2wd BIIs but I would think they use the same parts as the ranger.

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Yeah thats a good call, I just checked it out. Way more out there than I expected. Not sure why but your other reply is deleted/missing, I only have the email notification & it's not showing up in the forum. Need to see those photos!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Yeah thats a good call, I just checked it out. Way more out there than I expected. Not sure why but your other reply is deleted/missing, I only have the email notification & it's not showing up in the forum. Need to see those photos!
My 85 (first generation) on 33x12.5x15 on 10” rims with 4.5 backspacing. Has 6” skyjacker and tires would rub without 2” body lift.
4427B0F6-2C52-4FD2-AF55-7ED5554CEE11.jpeg

I have an 85 with stock suspension I’m gonna try to put 33s on but only use cutout fender flares like these.
0A9E29D1-BC22-4198-860A-51E9236BC1EB.png

This orange rig is not mine but has the bushwacker cutout fender flares. I think they give 4” of additional clearance without lifting.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Second question, does anyone have a spacer/adapter brand recommendation, the wheels/tires I bought have a 5x5 lug and my B2 is 5x4.5.
As far as adapters I have no knowledge. I’ve always bought rims that fit my truck. I’ve seen plenty of videos of tires falling off while using adapters and spacers and it doesn’t look like a fun time.

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Hey thanks for your service and for your help. I like what you've done with that 1st gen, lookin good. Measured the backspacing on my 15" steelies and they only have 3.5". Here is what I'm thinking for my rig, get some of the rough country 1.5" leveling coils and just do a simple 3" body lift for now. Then go ahead and trim at least 3-4 inches off the fenders as I'm not a huge fan of those fender flares. We'll see how that goes as that's down the road a bit anyways, unfortunately she is cranking but not starting. I'll admit I don't know too much so I've been asking around for help. my instructor at the local community college is convinced that the old gas which was sitting for 5 years.. may have corroded part of the fuel pump/line that sits in the tank. I put a fresh battery & terminals in, new solenoid, fuel pressure regulator, etc. I don't have the room at home to drop the tank to get to that fuel line so I've been working around it doing what I can, hoping something else is the problem haha. Might replace the starter for the hell of it and the spark plugs. I don't know half of me is ready to throw in the towel and take it to my mechanic but I want to figure this out. Any insight on common issues these B2s have after sitting for a while? She started up just over a week ago and now won't fire up. Thanks @tw205

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
The 2.9 is fairly reliable. Gas goes bad rather quickly especially with the garbage they make these days. See if she will run with some starting fluid. If it fires up you know you have a fuel problem. Buy yourself a cheap fuel Pressure gauge and make sure your getting good pressure. It’s important with injection. I believe it has two fuel pumps. One in tank and one on the frame rail under the driver side. Just because you can hear fuel pumps run doesn’t mean they are working.

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Right, got a fuel pressure gauge and tested 0 at the rail with the key turned into accessory mode as she won't start. I'll give some starting fluid a shot soon here. I want to say I can not hear the fuel pump beyond a quiet click when I turn the key. what does the fuel pump under the driver side look like?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
When you turn the key to on, the fuel relay should click and run the pumps for a few seconds to pressurize the system. Are you able to hear the relay? There is also an inertia switch you should check. Passenger foot well under the upper edge of the carpet. It shuts off fuel in the event if an accident. Make sure the button is pushed in.
I have not had to work on that 2 pump system. My 85s are 2.8 carbureted and my 89 2.9 is a different set up with high pressure pump in tank.
I’m sure you’ll spot it. It will have fuel line in and out. You will see a pump and a filter. The one with wires is the pump.

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Right on, found the in-line pump under the driver's side. Listened underneath while somebody else turned the key. Yes, I can hear a slight click of the relay and I did hear the in-tank pump. However, I did not hear anything from the in-line pump. Removed it and I'm going to replace it today. When it comes to the inertia switch, it is slightly raised but not all the way up. I press down and it does not click down and will not stay all the way flush is that normal?

Also, the frame, suspension, and the whole underside of this bronc is filthy from sitting outside. What is my best option for cleaning? Would lifting and pressure washing work fine? do I need to lift it get under there with a brush/rags instead of water/air to detail? everytime I crawl under to work on a component I get dust and rust everywhere haha

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Inertia switch sounds normal and fine.
As far as cleaning under there. Wet suit and a pressure washer. On a hot day. You can’t hurt anything.
Keep us posted.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I bought a set of Rhino car ramps recently. I drove the truck up both with one front tire and one rear tire on the same side. That little bit of pitch made it much better IMHO.

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Put a new fuel pump on her and now she fires up every time! have not had time to clean underneath yet but I'm proud to say she runs and drives now. Thanks for your help @tw205

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd