•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

92 Explorer fuel pump question

snow540

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have not posted on this site in several years, but I have ran into a problem and need some advice. I have a 92 explorer 4x4 auto 4-door that is my back up to my back up 4x4. It gets driven maybe 1000 miles on a good year, I drive it at least once a month just to keep it moving. A couple of weeks ago about 3 miles from the house it died out. Would not restart acted like no fuel. There was no noise from the fuel pump when you turned the key. Well it had been pretty cold and it did not hve a lot of gas in the tank, thought maybe it was frozen up. Towed it over to my dad's house where he has a lift. Got it there and it started up and drove off the trailer! Parked it for a couple of days. Then it would not start, poured in some heet, still would not start. Tried one warm day and it started and sat running for 30 minutes. Died and would not restart. For the record yes we did put a few gallons in the tank. Put the thing on the lift yeasterday, I have no power at the pump connecter behind the tank. Tried right at key on and with motor cranked. According to the haynes manual the pink wire with black stripe should be power into pump. Tried all four though. Checked the relay fuse it is good, tried the inersha switch it was not tripped. So tried to bypass some things. I get power at the inersha switch, so we jumped throuh it and still no power to the pump. So we put power right to the pump on the pink wire and still nothing.
So just to summ it up power to and through inersha switch equals no power at pump connection.
Power directly to pump with good ground equals no action from pump.
Is there any other wire I am missing, do you need power feed from more then one wire?
Is there another connection I am missing.
I do not dought that the pump is dead, but why would you not even get power to it?
Anyone had this before?