•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

94 ford explorer a4ld tranny problems

kainspain7531

Reaction score
hey all.. ive been reading these forums for the past couple weeks looking for anwsers to my questions, finnaly decided to get on and just ask.

I got my explorer from my inlaws, they had it for a year and it was skipping 2nd gear going right to 3rd and 4th. i got it from them and 4 days later.. lost 3rd and 4th gear. I replaced the filter and fluid to start and it helped but only a little.. i only got 3rd and 4th gears once the tranny warmed up. I also checked and replaced the mod valve cuz fluid was getting into the line... still the problem is there.. just now i dont have to wait as long before it starts to shift.. but i have to take my foot off the gas and back the RPMS down for it to shift. so i decided to find another tranny. bought one from a guy who put a 5 speed in his explorer after the TC went bad.. he did a rebuild on it and a new TC but he said he lost a bearing and pinched the center seal.. he said he tried it in his truck and thats how he found out... he had no reverse and the it shifted funny.. what should i do with this new tranny... he gave me what was left of the rebuild kit that he didnt use.. he said hes rebuilt several of these trannies and knew that when looking at some of the seals they where fine so he didnt replace them... should i go all out and replace everything.. or try to fix the seal thats pinched and i need to know where this bearing is that he lost and how hard would it be to get to that spot to put a new one in.. any help would be awsome... thanks

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
In regards to the missing bearing? Best bet would be to pick up via probably eBay one of the ATSG A4LD service manuals. They are a bit hard to read if you are a novice, however they have nice blowup diagrams of the internals and list the bearings and thrust washers used. That should help you determine which one was missing.

As for fixing a pinched seal? There is no fix, just replacement of the seal. It happens pretty easy during reassembly and is a headache maker. Sometimes seals pinch...roll..or flat out tear. When that happens? You can get a massive amount of pressure loss when the valve body kicks that circuit 'on'.

As a rule, always use the entire of the rebuild kit that applies to your transmission. There will always be a few bits and bobbles afterwards that are designed for different variations of the A4LD...but as the saying goes.. "In for a penny, In for a pound". You're already in there...makes more sense to replace the lot, then leave possible bad parts in.

S-

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
The key to a great rebuild,is put all new seals.o ring, clutches,steel plates,and be shore you have got it clean as a pin.Go all the way --Don't never half rebuild a automatic tran or you asking for trouble.:yahoo:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm using an ATP FM37 rebuild kit I ordered through Rockauto.com. I only have one complaint with the kit. It didn't inlcude the proper seals for the reverse clutch piston. I'm re-using the originals as they are soft and flexible and aren't cut or damaged. But everything else I'm using. (sure wish the little baggies had numbers on them though...). Waiting on other parts to show up but ought to have the trans assembled by the weekend. And if its not bad weather, maybe get it put in...