•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD Question

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Basics:

1989 Bronco II
2.9 V6
RWD
Dummy Transfer Case.

Trying to get the quarks out of the ol' girl. It's on the road and doing fair so far. (except for stalling out at some stop lights, seems idle related (to low))

Anywho... Here's the deal

When stone cold, right out of the box it shifts and goes down the road pretty well. It's got an A4LD out of a mustang (the last one took a crap, according to the last owner--he installed the dummy transfer case, "rebuilt" (yeah..right) the transmission)

Now the shifting in general is quite "Crisp" from 2nd to 3rd..into AOD.

After a few miles of driving it? Come to a stop light/sign..and hit the gas a bit--

And it feels like it's slipping? Kinda makes an oddball "feeling/vib"..(hard to describe) It feels like it's trying to 'Go' in 2nd gear---then it "Shifts" to what I think? is first gear? and takes off--and then shifts normally while going down the road. Give it some gas while @ about 5-15 mph and it seems like the engine is willing, but it lacks "Power" until you hit about 20ish mph. I'm not inclined to believe it to be engine related, as you can punch it going down the highway and it takes off like a flippen shotgun! And she's getting damn good MPG.

I'm almost inclined to think it's the Torque Converter. At first I figured it was the one way clutch...So I did a few starts off in manual first gear (it bypasses the one way clutch) Same problem. If memory serves? The TC uses a one-way clutch itself...**shrugs**

If needed, I have a good lead from a local yard that has a few A4LD's in stock, but they have the 4x4 transfer case attached. (decent price actually) But I'd hate to throw the baby out with the bathwater, if the transmission is in good shape, but the TC was the problem.

And then there is the question--would the transfer case need to be swapped out for the dummy case from my current one? Or could the 4x4 case be used, and just omit the front drive shaft and leave it on RWD only?

Just looking for ideas at this point.

S-

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes. If in fact your truck has a "dummy" transfercase, you can replace it with one that has the guts in it. Your BII most likely came with a 1350 if it was a 4 wheel drive model. Odds are, if you're getting one from a wrecker, it will be of the 1354 style. With that being said, I'm not too sure if the drive shaft will bolt up. I'm hoping someone else will chime in on the shaft.
Back to the transfercase... if you do get one, get one with a manual lever. Reason being, you can still use the low range even with no front differential and if you happen upon a complete front axle assembly, it's less work to hook it up and make your BII a true 4X4.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if you do get a newer t-case or even one with a different size flange your can swap the rear flange with a large 30mm socket. just remove the large nut, swap the flange, add a little locktite and tighten the nut.

Last edited: