•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD substitute

supermotosean

Reaction score
I have an 86 Bronco II 4x4 with an ailing A4LD. It's not a daily driver, so overdrive isn't a big deal. Is a C4 a possible bolt-in using a C5 bellhousing? I'm dangerously assuming the 2.8 and 2.9 used the same bellhousing bolt patterns, and that I'll need a manual tranny ECU to work with a non-computer controlled transmission. I really want to keep it auto, just looking for more durability.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I have an 86 Bronco II 4x4 with an ailing A4LD. It's not a daily driver, so overdrive isn't a big deal. Is a C4 a possible bolt-in using a C5 bellhousing? I'm dangerously assuming the 2.8 and 2.9 used the same bellhousing bolt patterns, and that I'll need a manual tranny ECU to work with a non-computer controlled transmission. I really want to keep it auto, just looking for more durability.
The C5 will bolt right up. RB

supermotosean

Reaction score
I have access to a good C4, just didn't know how long I'm gonna wait to find a good C5. Will the C5 2.8 bellhousing fit on a C4 that originally came w/a 5.0 bellhousing? Or am I just spittin' in the wind?

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I have access to a good C4, just didn't know how long I'm gonna wait to find a good C5. Will the C5 2.8 bellhousing fit on a C4 that originally came w/a 5.0 bellhousing? Or am I just spittin' in the wind?
I would say yes. RB

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know on some mustang sites and ebay that bellhousing is very pricey because mustang'ers use them to put a c4 behind there turbo 4's. i've seen most around $250 just for the bellhousing.