•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD to M50D

aerodyamis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 1988 Bronco 2 4x4 with the 2.9 equipped witht he a4ld and lost all foward gears, and i have access to a complete 1988 bronco 2 2x4 equipped with a code M which i belive is the m50d 5-speed with 64k miles. I was wondering if it would be a striaght foward swap, i was planning on replacing the plugs in the top, a new clutch kit, slave cyclinder, and was also wondering if i should repalce the master cyclinder for good measure (dont wanna have unbolt it again once its in :icon_twisted: And if the swap would work, was wondering if its a good swap to do or if i should go another route as i plan to build this to be a solid trail rig but one that i can take out on the road and enjoy to drive. THX :D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Yes, a 2wd Bronco2 will USUALLY have a 4x4 transmission and
a "Dummy" transfer case.

Presuming it is in it's original configuration the swap you
propose should be relatively straight forward.

The master cylinder can be replaced at any time so you could
take a chance on a used one.

the Slave cylinder OTOH is of course up inside the bellhousing
and for all but a very few people it's just too much work to have
to go in and replace it, so using a new one makes sense.

I don't necissarily replace mine every time and I have actually
installed a used (but very new-ish looking) one in my own truck,
even though I have a shiny new one in the factory (ford) box
sitting on the shelf above my toolbox.

as for the transmission DO take off the front bearing retainer AND the tailshaft extension housing and clear any debris out of the "Traps" in the trans.

Also make it a point to SEAL the "drain squiggle" in the rear gasket surface
where the T-case mounts to the trans.
I trust the output shaft seal in a mazda trans only slightly further than
I'd trust Bill Clinton on a date with my sister before I'd trust that seal to keep the oil in the trans.
there was no real need for a seal in the first place and none whatsever for that "drain groove"

AD

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
...Also make it a point to SEAL the "drain squiggle" in the rear gasket surface where the T-case mounts to the trans.
I trust the output shaft seal in a mazda trans only slightly further than
I'd trust Bill Clinton on a date with my sister.
there was no real need for a seal in the first place and none whatsever for that "drain groove"

AD
Crap, didn't seal that drain groove on mine that I just installed. Thought about it though. Is it sufficient to squeeze a good amount of RTV up into it or do I need to seperate the tcase a little bit and then seal it up? It was all good and clean when I put it in a couple weeks ago.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If you want that truly sealed, you need to put a donut gasket in as well, or else RTV the whole thing (though that will make it nasty to re-separate). Otherwise, you might as well not bother.

I'd leave it be and make it a habit to look for ATF drips below the truck, and check the level at every oil change.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
I was thinking RTV the whole thing. The gasket is already round like a donut (mmmm.....donuts.... :) ), what do you mean by a 'donut' gasket?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Ah, cool and thanks.