•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

air conditioning doesn't work

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I have a 1990 B2 with 2.9l engine. I don't know much about air cond systems since most of the vehicles I have owned never had air. When I turn the air on the clutch on the front of the air cond pump does not spin. I pulled the plug off the air cond pump and with the switch on there is no voltage. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to proceed?:icon_confused:

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
most common issue is that all the refrigerant has leaked out. It takes about 35-40 psi to close the low pressure switch, and if there's not at least that much pressure, the plug on the clutch won't have any voltage and the AC will never come on.

My 90 has the same problem. The transmission is keeping me pretty busy and it's still cold out so I haven't addressed it yet.

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Skippy, thanks for the link and glad to see another FairTax supporter!!!

LittleHorse, thanks to you as well. I had a feeling that may be the case. I may tackle it tomorrow and I will try to post what I found.

Geoff

98RedRanger21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys what is that black box in the upper left hand corner of the engine bay.. The ac hoses go into it, I took out compressire and can I somehow remove that box but still have heat and defeosters...

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
it's the evaporator housing. I haven't got far enough into mine to find out what the potential issues would be to taking it out.

hopster

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Hey guys what is that black box in the upper left hand corner of the engine bay.. The ac hoses go into it, I took out compressire and can I somehow remove that box but still have heat and defeosters...
You can remove the housing and replace it with a heater housing, but if you just remove the housing you wont have anything. you might also want the heater only controls for the cab.