•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

air filter housing question

unseenspeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi all,
I just bought an 87 bronco 2, from phoenix. Just started going through the previous owners jerry rigging and duct tape fixes. After finding the rear brake equalizer bars out of place, grinding along the drum itself. I decided to look further into all the problems. I made up a four page long issue list ( small things ). I have ran a cross a broken air cleaner. When I pulled it out, I noticed that the bottom section had a plastic tube coming out the back, going nowhere. Does anyone know where that is suppose to go?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Mine is at the shop so I cant look at it now...

There is a tube that brings hot air from the exhaust manifold to help with engine warmup performance in colder climates. It would make sense that a guy in Phx would rip that out, but it would have been good to block it off too.

unseenspeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have tried to included a picture, too large a file I guess. I think you are talking about the hot air tube before the air filter housing. By the way, that tube is also missing. This tube is a short 12" long by 1" opening at the rear of the housing, made out of plastic.

xtek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
there should be a hole in the side with a hard plastic sweep that should have two ports and a vac adapter one should have a metal expansion tube " like a dryer hose" the other should go to the air inlet in the grill. at least on mine its that way

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
there should be a hole in the side with a hard plastic sweep that should have two ports and a vac adapter one should have a metal expansion tube " like a dryer hose" the other should go to the air inlet in the grill. at least on mine its that way
Can't take a quick look now, it is snowing out and my B2 is parked down the street a bit.

Like I quote above there is an air inlet that comes from the grill. A built in cold air intake.

I believe, but don't recall there is a second port that pulls air off the exhaust. I think it is supposed to regulate the temperature by proportionally valve-ing between the two ports..\

I am always puzzled as to why people add "cold air intakes" that just take air from under the hood and pull out the existing setup. Okay so it doesn't take air off the exhaust manifold which may be better. I would think however it is better to just alter the existing box to not use the warm air port, fix the valve so it always gets the cold air. Not only is it air that doesn't go thru the radiator, but being out front it functions as a ram air intake.