•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

b2 wont crank when cold

ratney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Howdy. I have a 84 b2 that I put a 93 4.0 engine in. When its cold weather it won't crank. The fuel pump doesn't run when I turn on the ignition. If I wait till the suns out and warms up it will fire right up. Tried swapping relays around but nothing seems to help. Any advice. ?

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
it could be a few thing's, but I would have the battery load tested to see if its putting out enough amp's in the cold weather for starter's

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Check your battery and cable connections.

But I'd say your battery is going.

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

ratney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Put some jumper cables on it and it fired right up. Looks likeim buying a battery. It still spins over but I guess there wasn't enough voltage to run everything. Thanks guys.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Cold weather makes batteries die pretty quick it seems like. A certain amount of amps is required to get enough juice to the starter to crank the engine fast enough, along with provide power to the ignition coil, fuel pump, etc. Not enough juice means it won't start LOL.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My battery in my BII is like a champ when above 20 degrees out. With temps around here sinking into the single digits I have found it won't start. My explorer which I put a new battery in earlier this fall works fine in these single digits but I have a fuel pump going on that one.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The chemical reaction that allows car batteries to discharge amps slows down with lower temps, laws of physics suck almost as much as the laws of gravity, almost :)

At 32degF car battery loses 30% of its amp capacity, at 0degF 50%

And to add to the burden, engine takes a few more amps to start when temps drop.

If your battery is 3 years or older a cold snap might leave you looking for a jump.

Car batteries have 6 cells, when new they can hold 2.14 volts each.
As they are discharged and recharged they start to hold less.

If you measure voltage after battery sits a few hours you can get an idea of its age.
New battery is 12.8volts and has 100% capacity
2-3 years old 12.6volts 75%
4-5 years old 12.4volts 50%
5 years+ 12.2volts 25%