•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Best aftermarket alarm system

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Soo my truck was broken into on Christmas morning (I know, pretty low right!) and my radio and a bunch of tools were stolen from my truck. Details about the theft are in this thread here:

My question is, whats a good alarm system to buy for the money? I've got a 1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco II, its got the 5 speed manual tranny, and electric windows, etc. I'm more concerned about protecting the contents of my truck than the truck itself, since I don't think its exactly a hot truck to steal. I wouldn't mind having a keyless entry remote too, I think that would be a cool additional function that often comes with these alarm systems, and since I've already got electric locks, thats not a huge deal.

So bearing in mind those things, whats a good alarm to buy? What do you guys use? Did you install it yourself, was it there when you bought the truck, or did you have it professionally installed? I would really love to be able to install it myself. (I'm pretty electrically savvy, so that doesn't scare me much) I have about $300 max to spend, but ideally would like to spend no more than about $200.

So any advice you can give me with regards to brand, model, etc, would be good. Thanks guys!

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
http://www.viper.com/P-3305V/Viper-Responder-350-2-way-Security-System

http://www.viper.com/P-3105V/Viper-350-Plus-1-way-Security-System

You can also look into Prestige alarms, I had a good one on my old 88 Ranger. They make ones with a pager remote system and they are less then Viper even though they are made by the same company. Shop around to get a good deal. My alarm I had installed at my friend's shop and I knew the installer who did it. Even though I am a electronic guru I would rather have someone who does that for a living do the install. I was there during the install and made sure it was done right and both brains for the alarm and pager are hidden way up in the dash. Over the years I added the other sirens myself. I suggest you have a good shop reliable shop do the install.

That's my opinion.
Thanks man, thats good advice!

I know viper makes a good alarm, but they certainly are kinda expensive! I don't mind installing an alarm myself, cuz I know I'll do it right, but I also know its a big job, so I'm not exactly looking forward too it. Depending on the expense, I won't have I mean, it'll be a 3 or 4 day project for me more than likely. (Since I'm a perfectionist lol)

The advice about Prestige is certainly good though, I'll go look into their alarms! Thanks for the advice!