•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bII bomber

slovik89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
well on my 88 bII i guess the front is a d-28 and the back is the ford 7.5.. Right? i was think afer the lift goes one to do a d-35 swap up front do they jus come from explores? What could i do the the rear end beside s a locker is there any gears that fit in the housing?

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
correct d28 up front and 7.5 in the rear. u can get a dana 35 from any ttb rbv fom 1990 up. (doesnt matter if its exploder or ranger or whatever). Several gears will fit in the rear end, u could fit as low as 4.10 without one of those notched pins. check out the differential section of trs fab and offroad for more goodies

p.s. welcome to TRS! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

slovik89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
is the dana 35 a pretty straight forward swap.. any welding included?? i no the dana44 requires welding and stuff

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Basically a bolt in project. Might have to shorten the front driveshaft.

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you pull the D35 out of a ranger, make sure its got a 4.0 or the axle will most likely be a D28/35 hybrid.

The swap is straight forward, it just bolts in. You'll need to get the tie rod from the donor vehicle also. Then you'll need to shorten the front drive shaft 1-1.5" Or if you can find a 1354 Manual shift t-case you can swap that in, and keep the stock shaft.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
On my dana 35 swap the original driveshaft was too long as is usual. I went to the junk yard and found a Bronco II with I think a c5 transmission and the front driveshaft on it was a perfect fit for my Ranger. This might be a cheaper option than having your front driveshaft shortened. The other thing is I bought the fully adjustable castor camber bushings fron Napa auto parts for allingnment, you will probably need them. Also get all steering linkage with the dana 35 since it is wider than the dana 28. I think this is about it, the axle itself bolts up nicely.