•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Black soot and missing @ 2500-3500 rpm

PuebloBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Bronc
I have 86 Bronco II 2.9 engine. About two weeks ago I had a problem with the engine missing. I replaced the MAP sensor and solved the problem. Along the way i Also repalced the EGR valve and the IAC. After I fixed that it now idles perfect and tops out perfect but in between about 3000 rpm it misses bad and seems like its starving for gasor something, but if you push the gas to floor it straightens out. Also i notice when idling it shoots black soot from the tailpipe and has an odor like its running rich. I replaced the fuel filter as well. Any ideas of what this problem may be would be greatly appreciated.

merc2dogs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
explorer sport
Engine Size
Just a couple off the cuff ideas, but I'd check the fuel pressure regulatorand look for kinks in the return line.

Ken

Fordace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sometimes when MAP sensors go bad, the gel inside the map comes out the vacuum port and goes down the vacuum line. Make sure that vacuum line isn't partially plugged up. Also, about the fuel pressure regulator, pull the vacuum hose off and turn the key on, make sure no fuel comes out from a ruptured diaphram. It would run real bad with a fully ruptured FP regulator, so that probably isn't your problem.

PuebloBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Bronc
I cleaned the vacuum line out and also the ports connecting as well. Still no change. I still need to check the fuel pressure regulator and see where that leads. Would the cat converter have anything to do with the black soot coming from the tail pipe?