•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 2.3 turbo swap questions

Pony Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a chance to get a complete '88 Turbo Coupe engine with 88,000 miles on it, and I'd like to install it in a '90 Bronco 2. My main question is do the engine accessories from the 2.9 such as the power steering, alternator, etc. bolt up to the 2.3 at all? And I know the 87-88 Turbo Coupes use the A4LD transmission, which is the same as the '90 Bronco 2 transmission, but would the 2.3 bolt up to the Bronco 2 transmission? Different motor mounts are needed, but what else am I missing? I have done a lot of searching already on the forum, just nothing really clear on the 2.9 liter to 2.3 swap.

Ok, so I'd need a new bellhousing for the tranny, since the 2.9 uses a different bellhousing than the 2.3. So any 2.3 ranger bellousing should work, correct?
Motor mounts seem to be a more serious problem, do 2.3 motor mounts from a ranger bolt right up to the Bronco 2 frame? I seem to be finding conflicting thoughts on that.

Last edited:

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I don't think its easy. If you really wanna find out, look up aj on turborangerforums.com as he did put a turbo 2.3 in a B2.