•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

carb

offroad4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I recently got an 1985 bronco II, when I got it it would start but would not stay running, and every time you tried to start it the carb would leak fuel. So I bought a rebuild kit for the carb and my buddy showed me how to rebuild it. My problem is that it still does not want to idle on its own, at first I thought that there may be something stuck in the idle jets so following some old school advise I got the engine reved up relly high and then smothered the carb with a big towel in hopes that it would draw in lots of fuel and disloge anything in the jets. It did not work, has anybody had this issue and how did yall fix it.

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
If it still has all of the emissions stuff on it chances are that most of it doesn't work anymore and since the emissions control the carb it won't Idle, I had the same problem with mine so I durasparked it, works great!:icon_thumby:

But if you want to check into it I would say to check all of your vaccum lines for leaks, cracks ect, and see if the carb is lined up with the intake.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A bad EGR Valve can cause it not idle to. If it is leakin exhaurst gas into the intake it will choke the engine and die. Been there, done that. Definitely check all the vacuum lines and connections real carefully like the previous reply said.

Eric