•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

dana 28 max tire size?

iamlew

Reaction score
Just curious how big I can put on without needing to worry a lot about breaking an axle or something. I figured 33"s, which then I'd have to be careful in mud/snow if I were getting stuck. So would 31x12.50's(maybe 10.50 or 11.50) be fine? How much would I need to worry, like would trying to throttle out of a situation be effected. Also, how well do you think these would be in the snow with the open diffs. Might lincoln locker, not sure. I have a 9" rear too but I want to use it on another build I think.

I plan to change the oil and watch the seals if I'm doing anything with the "bigger" tires, I figured that'd keep them going pretty long. I want to upgrade eventually but for now just curious how much I can push it =p

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
I ran 33's for a long time on a D28 and 7.5 welded front and rear..................just don't turn the wheel and mash the throttle lol

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
195/70r14

i ran 32 for a little wile but for my area of wheelin and the wheelin i did or do i broke 4 axils in 2 weeks

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
195/70r14

i ran 32 for a little wile but for my area of wheelin and the wheelin i did or do i broke 4 axils in 2 weeks
shit i do that with my D44 and being Chrome moly :icon_rofl:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran 33's for a long time on a D28 and 7.5 welded front and rear..................just don't turn the wheel and mash the throttle lol
X2 I had the same set up. Use common sense and you should be able to get away with it for a while.

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
the ranger station axle tire size chart says 31x10.50s. but its up to you to believe what they say...

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Just broke my axle yesterday. That thing they are saying about NOT mashing it with the wheel turned........... ummm you may want to listen them. :agree:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
I killed dana 28 axleshafts, u-joints and diffs all with stock tires and a 2.9. But then again i also made on last for a while with 35's and a 396W stoker. It all depends how you drive it. Go easy on it and it will last a while, beat it and it's broke. It tends to help a little if you tack weld the u-joint caps to the shaft

Matt

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Vehicle
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
33s will break shafts, it's just a matter of time. My dad was able to beat the everliving snot out of his D28 with grooved 33 TSLs for about a year before he was driving along the trail, hit a stump and CRACK!

I've had my ranger bound up pretty good with 31x10.50 TSLs and haven't broke a shaft YET.

Basically, if your mindset is "when in doubt, throttle out" you're doomed no matter what tire you run, but if you wheel with a little common sense, it'll survive for awhile.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
33s will break shafts, it's just a matter of time. My dad was able to beat the everliving snot out of his D28 with grooved 33 TSLs for about a year before he was driving along the trail, hit a stump and CRACK!

I've had my ranger bound up pretty good with 31x10.50 TSLs and haven't broke a shaft YET.

Basically, if your mindset is "when in doubt, throttle out" you're doomed no matter what tire you run, but if you wheel with a little common sense, it'll survive for awhile.
"When in doubt, throttle out" is the best way I have ever heard anyone say it. I follow that rule like its etched in my steering wheel.

I romped on my d28 BAD with 31 11.5 15 TSLs and finally spit the cap on a ORIGINAL Spicer joint in a terrible snow storm driving home. I slapped a new joint in welded the cap and wheeled it till I swapped in my d35 without any failure.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
v6
I ran 34x10.50s that measure a true 32" and busted the first axle after a month and broke the ring an pinion right after changing the axle from loading it on my trailer. run whatever size you feel like just drive accordingly I like to use what little power my 2.9 has and it was too much for 32's when it was dry enough they actually hooked. It pissed me off though so Im chucking the ttb and going dana 44hp

JoseBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I have 4.56 gears with factory L/S and 32X11.50 Bridgestone MTs on 7" rims (only -6 offset) . Some years ago I also installed brand new shafts and u-joints. With some care and knowing its limits...it works.

Last edited:

NetBSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i had 31x11.50x15 on my bronco II with the dana 28. not fun at all. it was still open with 3.73 gearing and id blow a shaft every time i went out.

this really depends on what you are doing, right now i have a 89 ranger with a 28 in the front (35 coming soon) and it has 33" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ that is a street queen, its seen a few light trails since i had it but havent broken a shaft yet. HOWEVER when i did get this truck 4 of the bolts that hold the spindle onto the knuckle were broken and missing and all wheel bearings were shot. one thing many people forget is wheel bearings, check these every 6 month or even sooner if you like alot of mud/water.